Legal Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevinthomson
Freshman

Legal Issue

I'm not looking to put this all over the Hughesnet community before we may be able to reach some sort of agreement, but I was told to contact corporate by customer service. However, they are currently closed. Monday morning, I have a meeting with a (word we're not allowed to use), but according to "best practices" as far as arbitration goes, they say it's best to try to settle it with the company first. I'm not sure if that can be done at this point. The customer service "Associate Manager" could only give me a few hundred. This is insane how hard it is to talk to someone from the legal department. This information has all be well-documented as well. Please, get a hold of me. 

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Hopefully you and the person you're meeting with will read the documents at https://legal.hughes.com/

There is a specific process used to resolve grievances.

Thanks for the response? I'm not sure who you are. Upon looking at your profile, it would appear that you are a random Hughesnet subscriber. You are neither from their legal team nor do you represent the company in some way (that I know of). You could be an employee, I'm sure. Obviously, it would make more sense if you were, as I'm not sure why you would even respond, as you have no horse in this race. I posted it here to get legal to contact me. 

Also, you have no idea who I am. You have no idea what I've read or didn't read. However, I will tell you that I've read the subscriber agreement and all relevant information. At this point, whoever you are, you are going to cause Hughesnet problems publicly. The very fact that you are acting like you are somehow an expert on this, or in any way represent them, and Hughesnet is not taking appropriate action against you, causes me great concern. If your specialization is tech in some way, stick to that.

The arbitration process is extremely different depending on what has occurred. For example, I'm not just complaining about data issues, as I get how that could be an uphill battle. My concern is about the melted stuff in my son's bedroom from a clear and defective piece of equipment. The technician has already come out, and he literally burned himself removing the equipment. Do you understand what product liability and negligence are? Do you think somehow that since Hughesnet has a subscriber agreement they are not liable for any malfunctions or problems? I'm guessing you don't understand the actual law, so I would suggest you not reply anymore. If you want to help me or Hughesnet themselves, tell me how to get a hold of someone on a Sunday in their legal department. 

My very next step is to just go to the news if this is how I'm treated by people in this community. Do you know how insane it is for a modem to act in the way it did? I have sent request after request over a long period of time about my concerns and was ignored until it actually did cause a problem. I'm still not going to go into specifics because if some type of settlement can be reached, as arbitration suggests, my only leverage to having something taken care of is that I have yet to send this anywhere. I have documented everything, not because I even chose to, but because the very nature of my work records everything that I do digitally. I work for search engines, and the information is proprietary, so they monitor every communication. Also, there are pictures of all of this. I'm not some guy who's upset that his internet shut off in a storm or that they paid a little extra for data. 

I'm not sure if this is the start of a class-action situation. I haven't put out feelers on the many different search engines requesting other people to come forward with similar experiences at this point. This is the principle of the matter. My son, wife, brother or I could have been seriously, seriously injured or worse. 

Don't respond with any more snarky comments please. I will wholeheartedly raise the issue, if you're associated with them at all, to address the response I've received from a "reputable subscriber." 

Also, FYI, a grievance is something raised between an employee and an employer, usually for working conditions. This is not a grievance. This is much more serious than that. Please don't make comments unless you understand American/Maryland law. 

maratsade

There was no snark intended; sorry it was interpreted that way.

"I'm not sure why you would even respond, as you have no horse in this race. I posted it here to get legal to contact me. "

This is a community site; subscribers can and do respond here. I'm a subscriber, been so for over 15 years. I'm also a lawyer, licensed to practice in the US.

Hopefully a rep will reply to you this coming week and direct you to where you need to go in terms of contacting their legal department.  In my experience, they don't contact you; you need to keep trying to contact them, or you can ask your representative to try to do so.

Class actions are forbidden as per the subscriber agreement.

Best of luck to you.

Look, I'm sorry. I am just so very frustrated over what has been going on. I'm not mad at any specific person. 

maratsade

No worries at all, Kevin. I totally get it, and I hope you get a satisfactory resolution quickly.  The reps here are on M-F during business hours, though sometimes they stay later. I hope they will reply to you tomorrow.