Hughesnet Community

Misled by sells rep about set up fees

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryandrea

Misled by sells rep about set up fees

Hello. I became a Direct TV customer a week ago, and was offered Internet with Hughes Net. I was told it would only be $99 and I would be billed for the rest later. I asked if I could call back, as I needed to discuss this with my Husband. A few days later I called back and asked to sign up with Hughes Net, as long as the $99 offer was still in effect. I was told yes, and I reconfirmed 2 to 3 more times with the CS Rep, that the charge would only be $99. He replied yes, all times. My CC was charged $257.98. I contacted Hughes Net and was given a break down of the charges. The CS Rep waived the monthly Equipment Fee of $9.99 for six months. That was very nice of her and I appreciate that, but I was honest with her in that a $158.98 difference was more than I can afford right now. She recommended I use this site and stated that they would be able to listen to the recorded message and assist me further. I would not have signed up if I had been told the correct amount and this has caused me a financial hardship. I hope you can assist me further as I now cannot afford to pay my Direct TV bill.
16 REPLIES 16
jerryandrea

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Misled by CS Rep in regards to intital fee.

Hello. I became a Direct TV customer a week ago, and was offered Internet with Hughes Net. I was told it would only be $99 and I would be billed for the rest later. I asked if I could call back, as I needed to discuss this with my Husband. A few days later I called back and asked to sign up with Hughes Net, as long as the $99 offer was still in effect. I was told yes, and I reconfirmed 2 to 3 more times with the CS Rep, that the charge would only be $99. He replied yes, all times. My CC was charged $257.98. I contacted Hughes Net and was given a break down of the charges. The CS Rep waived the monthly Equipment Fee of $9.99 for six months. That was very nice of her and I appreciate that, but I was honest with her in that a $158.98 difference was more than I can afford right now. She recommended I use this site and stated that they would be able to listen to the recorded message and assist me further. I would not have signed up if I had been told the correct amount and this has caused me a financial hardship. I hope you can assist me further as I now cannot afford to pay my Direct TV bill.
Liz

Hi jerryandrea,

Welcome and thanks for posting. We can certainly look into this for you. Can you elaborate further on what was promised on the call? It sounds like you were offered a $99 activation fee, but aside from that, there still is the monthly fee which includes the service and lease which would add up to about $60 a month. The additional big charge on your bill here is for the purchase of the router, which is $99. Was the promised to you free?

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

jerryandrea

When I called Direct TV the first time, her exact words were, "it will be only $99 to sign up." When I called back, yes I was informed about the other fees, but again was told yes when I asked, "but today it will only be $99. I also received two order aknowledgement emails, one for $158 and one for the $257.98. The Direct TV rep couldnt figure that one out.
Liz

Good morning jerryandrea,

Thank you for your patience while your call was reviewed. The results came back in and your claim was found as valid. I do apologize that the rep was not clear about the initial charges. How would you like to proceed? I can arrange to have your ETF waived if you would like to cancel your HughesNet service. If you want to keep the HughesNet service, I can give you credits for this inconvenience. 

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

jerryandrea

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the conversation. I will have to go over my options with my Husband first. Just so I am clear, what do you mean by credits? Also, if we decide to cancel, will that include a full refund?
Liz

Hello,

By credits, I mean I can heavily discount your monthly bill for a limited time. If you decide to cancel, we can waive the ETF, no full refund.

-Liz

jerryandrea

How much would the refund be? It will cost me $200 to go with another company.
Liz

Hi,

If you call us at 866.347.3292 and reference this case number, 101733764, you can cancel without the $400 Early Termination Fee.

-Liz

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Liz, the modem, power supply and radio also need to be returned in order to prevent being charged for them, correct?
Liz

That's correct. Instructions for returning the equipment can be found here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1039586-0001v2_c.pdf

-Liz

jerryandrea

Any refund amount?
Liz

There's no refund. Normally, one would be charged $400 for canceling before their 2 year commitment is up, but I've waived it for you due to the findings of the sales call review, all you have to do is reference the case number I gave you.

-Liz

jerryandrea

So you want me to let Hughs Net have $257.98 for barely a few weeks of service? I don't see how you can think this is fair. And then turn around and spend another $200 to sign up elsewhere. This does not help me financially at all.
Liz

Good morning,

Although there was usage on your account, for your particular circumstances and case history, I've credited you the service, lease, and router fees. 

Good luck with your future ISP.

-Liz

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wow! Mark this one in the loss column on the tax form. What a deal getting money returned even for time service was provided. Don't think any other company would have done the same. 
jerryandrea

Good morning,

Yes, we have used 0.39 GB, very little, mostly due to no WiFi coverage. Your refund is very appreciated and more than I expected. Thank you for your help.