New Modem model to be released ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

New Modem model to be released ?

I recently ran across this document describing a new modem model.

Would any Hughes employee care to provide any details as to release date, system platform it will be used on and so forth ?

14 REPLIES 14
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Wonder if this will be the modem for the new bird?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Gwalk,

Thank you for your interest. This modem is not a consumer based product and is designed for enterprise customers. At this time there are no plans for a new consumer modem model.

- Chris 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That is what I was wondering too.

Dual band, dual LAN ports, router or switch.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Oh Drat !!!!

It had some nice features .... dual LAN would lend itself more to the Consumer than Enterprise side I would think.

Thanks for the Reply Chris.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hughes tends to keep dual LAN to enterprise only systems...  Tends to be useful for failover networks, where if one router or firewall fails, another automatically takes over for the network.  Don't really see dual LAN being useful for consumers as most have a router already.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I was thinking of the "I have two computers and don't need wireless" type of user that doesn't need the "complication" of setting up a router.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Those users are sadly few in number, too few to justify putting the circuitry for the second NIC onto an HT1100 or any other consumer model.
Alana Lynn Andr

BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE OF US WHO AREN'T ALLOWED TO HAVE/USE ROUTERS? BESIDES, WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS I'VE HAD TO CALL ON; THE FIRST THING THEY ASK ME ABOUT IS THE "ROUTER" I'M USING!

I JUST FIGURED: "WHY EVEN START ANY MORE TROUBLES?"

OKAY, "DUMB QUESTION TIME": JUST WHAT IS A ROUTER ANYWAY?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

A router is a device that separates two different networks...  Why would you not be allowed to have a router?  Anyone is allowed to have them, they go from extremely cheap and climsy, to very expensive high end ones with a lot of bells and whistles.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It also allows numerous devices to be connected to the same network and ISP modem either by wireless or cable.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A Hughes modem only has a single LAN port so only a single computer can be connected.
a router usually has 4 LAN ports allowing 4 computers to be connected by wire and most routers have a wireless portion that allows devices such as laptops and tablets to connect over a encrypted short range wireless network.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

More detailed and helpful as usual. Nobody likes a smarty pants.  🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Alana, do you have router police where you live? I guess you might have been joking about not being allowed to have one.