cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cal.gilbert
Sophomore

Plan Options differences between online choices and calling customer service

Perhaps someone from Hughesnet corporate can explain:

I'm currently a "free agent" with my HN Serice plan and am exploring my options with either continuing with the current plan, upgrading data, or ditching HN in favor of a wireless carrier.

When I looked online at upgrading my plan, HN shows that I can upgrade from my 30GB to 50GB/month plan at a reduced cost if I opt for 24 month agreement. 

When I contacted HN customer service, they informed me that my only optional plan was for the full-priced 50GB/month plan. ????????

Also, I'm currently leasing the modem at 15.00/month.  When I asked about dropping the lease purchase a modem, I was informed that the modem would cost me $250.00 and I would not even get a new one.  Instead I would be paying for my existing 2+ year old unit. ???????

Can someone at corporate explain?

Thank you in advance,

Cal Gilbert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Cal,

I appreciate you reaching out to get clarification. Our agents are supposed to refer to the same options you see online when you check out the Plans & Pricing sub-tab, so what you see online is valid. I am not seeing any option to switch from lease to purchase. When you upgrade online, you should be provided with Terms and Conditions that you must agree to before you can submit the upgrade. Those terms will include details regarding your committment and fees.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cal.gilbert 

Are you seeing the upgrade offer in the Shop/Upgrade section when you sign into the HughesNet MyAccount site?  If so, I'm sure that would be a valid offer.  But, of course, it's best to wait to see what a rep says, like you're doing, especially with there being a discrepancy.  They'll be back online on Tuesday.

GabeU: 

When I sigin into HN and look at billing, etc, I can shop my plan options.  The site knows my current plan and I can then view the other plan options.

Looking at the 50GB/month plan brings up the normal price and discounted options if I opt for a 24month commitment.

I'll wait to hear back from one of the HN reps before making any commitments.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cal.gilbert wrote:

GabeU: 

When I sigin into HN and look at billing, etc, I can shop my plan options.  The site knows my current plan and I can then view the other plan options.

Looking at the 50GB/month plan brings up the normal price and discounted options if I opt for a 24month commitment.

I'll wait to hear back from one of the HN reps before making any commitments.

That's what I was referring to, but yes, it's best to wait, especially with the discrepancy.  And with the question about the modem, of course.  

You're lucky.  I don't have that option.  My two possible upgrades from my 20GB plan are only for full price, though no commitment.  I might do it if I had the option, as once the 24 month commitment and the discount were over, I could just go back down to something cheaper, if I wanted to.  There's no chance of me getting anything better in my area over the next two years, so the commitment wouldn't be a problem.  Actually, maybe they know that, so no offer.  😛      

Hi Cal,

I appreciate you reaching out to get clarification. Our agents are supposed to refer to the same options you see online when you check out the Plans & Pricing sub-tab, so what you see online is valid. I am not seeing any option to switch from lease to purchase. When you upgrade online, you should be provided with Terms and Conditions that you must agree to before you can submit the upgrade. Those terms will include details regarding your committment and fees.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz:

Thank you for clarifying the plan options as I was unsure after both emailing and calling HN customer service.  Both email and phone reps did not have offer any better option than the 149.99/month for 50GB plan.  I do see that I have an option online to commit to 24months at a lower monthy cost than the 149.99/month. 

I still have some consternation over the modem lease vs buy out.  The lease seems to be a never-ending committment and the only way out is to Cancel my service altogether.  That seems like an old trick Ma-Bell pulled on landline customers making them pay rental for their landline phones; even though they could purchase phones from any retailer.

Cal G.