Hughesnet Community

Please read first before agreeing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel Noonan

Please read first before agreeing

I recently logged into the HughsNet customer service sight in my system controller. When I queried "View my Bills" I received the prompt "We are moving to a New Login Process. Complete the quick registration and you will be able to login to your HughesNet account with your existing Google, Windows Live, AOL or Hughes.net account." Under the 'Register Now' it states that you may still log in the old way, but using my old password did not work for me (although interestingly it is the one I used to login here), so I began the registration process. In this registration process the first thing they have you do is sign an "Agreement". Please read carefully the "Terms of Agreement". Unfortunately it is 30 pages long with 23 components. You basically have few if any rights in this agreement. Again I repeat, please read it. They reserve the right to control everything including your internet content and even email messages. Plus they can change the agreement anytime they want, sell it to someone else and charge you outrageous fees for service. They even require you to pay for the return of their equipment after your 24 months of loyalty. I refused to sign it which meant of course I couldn't move on in their registration process, and of course I therefore can't look at my billing statements. Just another HughesNet ripoff. I'm just hoping the FCC shuts them down, they get run out of town by some legitimate competitor or some class action suit buries them.
13 REPLIES 13
Janice Carmack

I have been logging in through gmail or facebook from the getgo and have never had any problems at all. All I can say is that I hope the FCC will never shut hughenet down it is all the internet I can get where I live. Been with Hughes for over 2 years and never had any such problems you mentioned.
Christopher San

i never any problems  but go to hughes net first and ask them , first to explain  and  but something does not sound right so try to  keep your cool and talk it out with the company , first  and remember sugar draws more  attention and going to the source is better than putting on the network first, then let me know what is going on   . ok .
Daniel Noonan

Thanks for the comment Janice. I truly wish I could say "ditto". Unfortunately I have been with them for only 4 months and find nothing positive that I can say about the experience. I can't stream videos, they have arbitrarily added extra charges to my monthly bill that I never asked for and now I can't even read my monthly bills without first signing over my first born.
Daniel Noonan

Thanks Christopher. I've tried talking to them in the past with very little satisfaction. Thus I feel it is time to share this experience with both other HughesNet customers as well as other authorities.
Christopher San

daniel  contact them one more time and  keep that case no. and make sure you go to your e-mail and fill out the comment section survey and in one hour , you do not get a response , come back to me and i will contact them for you and see if i can get you satisfaction    , sometime all it takes is just knowing the right channels to go through   remember i will need your case number and for you to fill out that survey !!!
Katie0
Admin

Daniel - Christopher is right.  This is quite unusual.  In investigating your account we can see that you contacted us earlier in the year in reference to NetFlix and VoIP issues. If the sales rep misled you - that's unfortunate.  We can fix that here.  We're removing the VoIP charges for Jan and ensuring it stays off.  We also want to understand if the HughesNet service is not meeting your expectations, maybe we need to bring in advanced support.  

You'll be contacted later today confirming the Jan credits to your invoice and follow up on any other service performance concern you might have.  Most of all, thank you for posting so we can get to the bottom of the problem. 
Christopher San

thank you !!! katie  you  and hughes net are get to make the company greater and thanks again for staying on top things
gerald kiener

i have never had any trouble with them....in fact they have been understanding and given me discounts due to installers
Daniel Noonan

Thanks for your comment Gerald, but this is not an issue of past problems but rather a simple warning to HughesNet customers to read what they are signing off on, and understanding the "potential" consequences of this. If you don't mind having this anvil over your head feel free to sign on. Just trying to make sure you know it is there.
Daniel Noonan

Katie and Christopher: to begin with your investigation was obviously not thorough enough to detect my multiple conversations with your representatives just yesterday. The VoIP issue is not the only overcharge associated with my account. Furthermore, I have some difficulty in understanding how the sales representative can be blamed for the current VoIP issue, because these charges were not added to my account until this month, several months after installation. Your website does not list a plan that institutes VoIP 4 months after installation of an account. Must be something new. Finally, I should add that this posting was not an attempt to resolve the issues discussed here. That was another posting I made that your representatives chose not to respond to. As this posting states, and as I responded to Gerald above, this is not an issue of past problems but rather a simple warning to HughesNet customers to read what they are signing off on, and understanding the "potential" consequences of this. If your customers don't mind having this anvil over your head then that is  fine with me. Just trying to make sure they know it is there. It also points out the consequences and burdens you place on customers who refuse to sign off on these terms of agreement. Namely, no access to critical information such as monthly billing.
Katie0
Admin

Daniel -Christopher is a fellow community member offering assistance based on his experience. That's what we do here in the Community.  

All of your call center tickets as documented were reviewed by the community moderators before we posted this morning.  Between your posts and the ticket notes, we have attempted to understand your problem, offer billing assistance, set up a call from our moderator and already extended your trial period.  You can either work with us to improve your performance and clear up the billing issues or continue to complain.  We're here for the former not the latter, if our assistance isn't of value.
Daniel Noonan

Hmm, I knew you couldn't resist that post. Well Katie, one last comment before I fade into the sunset. I'll give them credit, HughesNet has valiantly attempted to resolve my many issues with respect to billing and services. I guess the 2 problems I have with respect to this fiasco are that it occurred in the first place and that it took so much effort on my part to get it resolved. I can't say it was resolved to my complete satisfaction, but at least some forward progress was made. I suppose my question is, 'am I simply one of many?' From my experiences with humanity, I find most folks reticent about speaking out when issues like these arise, and I worry that HughesNet prays upon this human weakness. We feel somewhat intimidated by the Big Brother syndrome and often feel helpless against it. I personally doubt that many HughesNet customers even follow this community site and many may not even know or remember that it exists. For all those that do, I hope you keep in mind that HughesNet is a company first and foremost, and it appears to place monetary profits above all else, which I suppose if you are strictly a Business 101 student you might agree with. The only way we as customers can assure that these businesses function within the confines of the competitive business environment that they work in, are to speak out, look closely at the competition and challenge their efforts to work within the slimy periphery of this environment. Take care and beware.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Daniel,
Try to keep in mind that "residential servce" is a very very very small part of Hughes Network Systems yet requires a vast amount of "support".
They really are plaqued with the "where is the any key to continue" syndrome in many cases.
Speaking as an 11 year Hughes customer, I'm not sure Hughes understands non Enterprise support.
They are getting better I think ... one way to help is to visit this community forum and help out our less knowledgeble fellow users by offering your own expertise.