Hughesnet Community

?? REGISTER FOR AUTO PAY....OR PAY $5.00 for a unwanted Tangible Bill!!!!?????

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mateensmoving

?? REGISTER FOR AUTO PAY....OR PAY $5.00 for a unwanted Tangible Bill!!!!?????

I never endured this fee, while patronizing Comcast & Verizon Fios over 20 years. Im a 50% Service connected Disabled veteran, on a fixed income. Ive paid my bills 36 years straight on time. I also asked the initial rep to remove me off auto pay, simultaneously as i inquired about a separate $5.?? Debit transaction after installation. Verizon , comcast omits this type predatory, borderline extortion, strong arm fee. The option for enrolling auto pay, should be verbatim a
"Fee (Free) Customer Option. Hughes net is less competitive with this $5.00 fee. Im a Blue collar citizen on STRICT FIXED BUDGETED MONTHLY INCOME. IF THE GAS BILL IS HIGH IN EXTREME WINTER, i use a emergency credit/debit card, i always pay my bills in full for 36 yrs straight, on time, now a Major cable co. Wants to penalize me financially, if i opt out of auto pay?
I would like Hughes Net to disclose the percentage of users enrolled/to those whom opt out.
I find this truly Customer unfriendly.
****Feedback from users/staff are welcomed.
Notes: i will contact Hughes Net Corporate office to pursue adjusting this fee.
How about this co. Offer 5% or as Home depot does 10% veteran discount?
I know and interact with Veterans Worldwide, the discount as oppose to unenrolled auto pay fee, could actually, triple new customers.
Basic economics, offer discount draw tons of new customers omit auto pay punishment fee for those whom opt out.
6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mateensmoving 

Not having a $5 invoice fee is not going to triple new customers, nor does it have any impact on customers signing up, because autopay is a requirement for new subscribers.  But, even there were an option for free invoice billing, it certainly wouldn't triple new customers, as it's only $5.  As well, satellite internet is a niche market.  Most people that have satellte internet have it because they have no ground based service available to them.  Even a substantial discount wouldn't attract those who wouldn't be customers in the first place, and they already have an edge on their direct competition by offering free installation to new lease customers, which that competition no longer does for most.  So, the bottom line is, HughesNet is already attracting the customers they're going to attract, regardless of any $5 discount.  

The $5 fee is to encourage people to stay with auto billing, because it's less of a hassle and helps to ensure that payment is made without issue.

Cnelson

How?
GabeU

@Cnelson wrote:
How?

How what?  

I would have to agree that the $5.00 charge for opting out off autopay is in effect a manipulation to push costumers into staying in the program. I would be fine with paperless/invoiceless billing where i log in and pay the bill that I can clearly see is currently being generated on my account. I feel as if Autopay is holding my banking account (debit card) hostage over the 5 a month. I feel as if i was mislead orignally about the autopay enrollment anyways and the ability to choose not to participate. I then find out after by account is charged "Pre Authorized" that i can opt out at a cost. I mean if I am calling you the day I see my account being debited then I clearly didn't approve of the transaction. That like a sexual encounter without consent. No means no. a Pending charge on my aco**bleep** and all I hear is it is a valid charge. that is like taking my shirt off and ignoring my removal of consent and continuing to remove my pants as well. So here I am, Account has been charged by an autopay program that I was lead to believe was the only option until today. but i can choose to pay five dollars more a month if I dont consent to my account being charged against my will. I love being forcced into things! and my account has a pending charge that I contested with a repersentative of hughesnet and They effectively said tough luck. The bright side is I have some wonderful dialog for twitter and facebook and I get to speak with my bank later. Remember no still means no and even if you get a yes last month doesnt mean that they cant say no when you force it on them today. Thanks for reading Y'all

maratsade

"I would have to agree that the $5.00 charge for opting out off autopay is in effect a manipulation to push costumers into staying in the program. "

It's a common practice for many service providers. They want reliable payments and to avoid the many deadbeats who skip on their payments. 

You must not have read the subscriber agreement, which clearly states the method of payment. The subscriber agreement is available to everyone and it makes sense to read it before subscribing.  The agreement also states that you agree to have the funds debited from a credit card or another form of payment.   So no, your account is not being charged "against your will."  You just failed to read the pertinent documents before subscribing. 

Thanks for the feedback, while I understandthat my lack of knowledge would agree with your assessment. Although typically i am very careful in regards to such matters. I would also say that the representatives I have spoken to have been unhelpful if not semi-misleading in my attempts to get a grasp on the situation. I agree it is the consumers responsibility to understand the agreement. I feel it could have been handled differently reflecting on my interactions to this point. But thank you for the comment.