cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomemailnow
New Poster

Scammed and unhappy with phone

Hughesnest does not tell the truth

I signed up for Hughesnet and also the phone. When the person I spoke with talked to me about the phone service I was told or made to believe that I could cancel my phone service at anytime or downgrade my service. Well after a month of no phone service I finally got it up but the service is so bad that no one can understand me or they just hear a echo on their end. So since i'm having to use my cell phone anyway I called to cancel my phone service and was told I would be charged a fee to cancel it since I had a two year contract. I was not aware of this and now I'm paying $29.95 a month for something that can not even be used. 

Hughesnet has been one big disappointment after another with me. They should pull their ad's off of TV since it is not true and misleading. Shame on them for taking advanged of people living in the countryside. 

I would never tell anyone to go with Hughesnet. They would have better chance of keeping in contact by smoke signal.

Thom

3 REPLIES 3
thomemailnow
New Poster

Hughesnest does not tell the truth

I signed up for Hughesnet and also the phone. When the person I spoke with talked to me about the phone service I was told or made to believe that I could cancel my phone service at anytime or downgrade my service. Well after a month of no phone service I finally got it up but the service is so bad that no one can understand me or they just hear a echo on their end. So since i'm having to use my cell phone anyway I called to cancel my phone service and was told I would be charged a fee to cancel it since I had a two year contract. I was not aware of this and now I'm paying $29.95 a month for something that can not even be used. 

Hughesnet has been one big disappointment after another with me. They should pull their ad's off of TV since it is not true and misleading. Shame on them for taking advanged of people living in the countryside. 

I would never tell anyone to go with Hughesnet. They would have better chance of keeping in contact by smoke signal.

Thom

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may want to ask to have your call reviewed, to get a transcript of what was said by both parties.  You never did any research before subscribing to the service, or read the terms of a contract you agreed to? The information is available to read prior to signing up -- fines for terminating a contract early are industry standard, not something only Hughesnet has. Their ads follow industry standards as well and are within the laws and regulations that apply to such things.

I respectfully disagree that they are taking advantage of people living in rural areas. The technology they provide is superior to what we could get if they weren't there. The technology is more expensive to provide and to maintain than cable and other broadband technologies, so the price is higher. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@thomemailnow

This is the tech support section, which is a section for getting help with technical issues.  

Your exact same post in the billing section is sufficient. No need to spam on multiple threads.