Service cannot support Work From Home requirements

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ladytypesetter
New Poster

Service cannot support Work From Home requirements

Since my employer mandated that all office staff follow guidelines to self-isolate as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, I needed to transfer my workstation to my home office on Friday, March 20, 2020.

Alas, because I was having ping rates in the 800's and data speeds in the 1.8 Mbps or less range, I found it impossible to fulfill my work requirements on the Hughesnet service. Even with priority being given to business applications, I was unable to join mandatory office Zoom meetings, access Office365, or connect to Dropbox.

Therefore, as a result, I changed service provider to a different local solution. As of this afternoon, the Hughesnet modem was disconnected and the new service installed. I'm pleased to report a significant increase in speeds, and I can now fulfill my obligations to my employer.

I wish to cancel my service and hope that Hughesnet will consider waiving the early termination fee because they were unable to provide a satisfactory product in order to allow continuity of business. I realize this is a stretch, but since I've been a customer for several years, I think it fair.

If the Early Termination Fee is not waived, I need to know the final amount (which, without examples, is confusing to calculate based on the description), because my employer has offered to pay any expenses related to changing service.

Thank you for your assistance.

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Ladytypesetter wrote:

Since my employer mandated that all office staff follow guidelines to self-isolate as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, I needed to transfer my workstation to my home office on Friday, March 20, 2020.

Alas, because I was having ping rates in the 800's and data speeds in the 1.8 Mbps or less range, I found it impossible to fulfill my work requirements on the Hughesnet service. Even with priority being given to business applications, I was unable to join mandatory office Zoom meetings, access Office365, or connect to Dropbox.

Therefore, as a result, I changed service provider to a different local solution. As of this afternoon, the Hughesnet modem was disconnected and the new service installed. I'm pleased to report a significant increase in speeds, and I can now fulfill my obligations to my employer.

I wish to cancel my service and hope that the company will consider waiving the early termination fee because they were unable to provide a satisfactory product in order to allow continuity of business. I realize this is a stretch, but since I've been a customer for several years, I think it fair.

My account is DSS34017039 so if this is not waived, I need to know the termination fee, because my employer has offered to pay any expenses related to changing service.

Thank you for your assistance.

I am having the same problem. Cannot connect to anyone to cancel my service. Plus I need the box and return label. Had to get another provider.
maratsade

The only way to cancel the service is by calling Customer Service, so you will need to keep trying. Try calling at a time when the lines are bound to be open, such as between midnight at 6 am. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Kennethkeyser wrote:
I am having the same problem. Cannot connect to anyone to cancel my service. Plus I need the box and return label. Had to get another provider.

GabeU

@Ladytypesetter 

You should edit the DSS number out of your post.  This is your account number, which should never be posted in public.

To edit your post, click on the three dots on the upper right of the message body and click "Edit Message".  

Only the phone rep can tell you what your actual termination fee will be.  However, the residential subscriber early termination fee schedule is $400 for the first 90 days after service activation, then $15 less per month thereafter.

Dlngar1
New Poster

I likely am facing the same issue.  What provider did you change to?

I am in a rural area in the high desert of California. We have a provider called Supernet360 which is now providing internet service. It's direct line-of-sight microwave signal, but significantly better than the speeds I was getting with satellite.

maratsade

Good. I hope that works for you.

Ladytypesetter wrote:

I am in a rural area in the high desert of California. We have a provider called Supernet360 which is now providing internet service. It's direct line-of-sight microwave signal, but significantly better than the speeds I was getting with satellite.

maratsade

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.