Termination fee for account I didn't know I had

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betsyarehart
Freshman

Termination fee for account I didn't know I had

OK, here is my story. My sister Susan Roebuck initiated a contract with HughesNet Feb 13 2013 . She moved away and suspended the contract for 7 months. I then moved to the house where said service was located and we reactivated said contract with me as the bill payer. I finished out the contract and went on month to month. I was always told by tech support that if I wanted any changes to the account/service Susan would have to call and give the OK since the account was still in her name, even though I was the one paying the bill.

Last April a tech rep visited our community (Kingston NM, 88042) and asked some residents if they wanted an upgrade. He didn’t talk to me, but another resident mentioned it to me and if I wanted it I should call him to come out. I now realize this was an upgrade to Gen 5, but didn’t know it at the time. I asked him if it would improve speeds, he said it would, so I told him I wanted the upgrade. I asked him if there would be a charge for this upgrade and he said no. He came and installed a new dish and gave me a new wireless modem. I was quite pleased with the result. To the best of my memory I didn’t sign anything, but if I did it should be on your records.

In November 2017 I moved to a house in the same community and after a week with no internet there initiated a new two year contract  in my name. The internet at my previous residence was still active. A couple days after the new installation/contract I called HughesNet to cancel the old month to month. I was told once again that my sister (Susan) would have to be the one to call in the request

Susan then called Hughes support... ended having a lengthy four-way call with Susan, her husband, myself and the HughesNet support person. This resulted in our being informed that when the service was upgraded last April, a new contract had been initiated. I had no idea of this. If this is true, the main person (Susan) on the account never approved the new contract. I believed I was still on month-to-month. The tech person who made the equipment upgrade in April did not to my recollection say that the action would result in a new two-year contract. After some time of talking with the support person, we understood that not only was Susan’s name still on the account, but that the equipment upgrade had resulted in a two-year contract. We were told that in order to cancel this unwanted 2-year contract (at my old address), a hefty cancellation fee would have to be paid. (Case number for this call is 107 481 422.)

My problem is that I had no idea that at the time the service at my old address was upgraded, it initiated a new 2 year contract at the same service address. I presume it was initiated in my name? If so, what happened to the first account started by my sister on which I was paying month to month? If it was not initiated in my name, wouldn’t my sister have to have OK’d it? How many accounts are there now anyway? One in Susan's name, one in my name which was cancelled, and a current one in my name? As of now I have a hefty bill pending for cancellation of .

If I had known that the upgrade to my previous service meant starting a new contract, I may well have not agreed. If I had agreed to it, then instead of beginning a new two year contract in my name at my new address, I would have simply requested that the service be moved.

Therefore I now request that the termination of the first contract, with fee, be cancelled and that said contract be changed to a change of service address. I think I have (with HN one can never be certain of anything)  until Dec 13 to pay the cancellation fee.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Betsy,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I will send you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@betsyarehart

This is only concerning certain information in your post (a rep will have to help you with your actual issue)....

You shoud edit out all of those DSS numbers you posted.  Those are account numbers, and you should NEVER post account numbers on a public site.  The reps will be able to find your account by your community name and they will PM you if they need any sensitive info like account numbers.  Again, though, you should edit those DSS numbers out, which you can do by clicking on the three dots on the upper right of the post and select Edit Post (or whatever it says).  Case numbers are fine, as they contain no sensitive info.  

Edit: Sorry for the multiple reply notifications.  I edited a few things in my reply and it sends a reply notification each time a post is edited.  

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I appreciate you taking the time to explain the situation in detail. I've edited your post to remove the SANs because, as Gabe mentioned, account numbers are sensitive information, like your phone number and home address, and should not be posted publicly. 

I have both SANs you shared, please allow me some time to investigate the accounts and case notes. I will likely send you a private message with an update or additional questions. You can check your private messages by clicking the envelope icon in the top right corner of the community page.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Betsy,

Thank you for your patience while your case is being investigated. I'm letting our installations group here at corporate know of your experience, and I wanted to clarify something: 

You said, "if I wanted it I should call him to come out" so does this mean your initial conversation to upgrade happened via phone, as opposed to in person?

I do see your signatures from the day of the upgrade in our system. Currently the accounts are under Susan's name, but with you listed as the primary contact--I can certainly get this changed over to your name. There are other things I'd like to do to address the rest of your concerns, and will private message you about those details.

Hi Betsy,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I will send you a PM to further address your concerns.

Hello again, Liz,

You can tell I don't know my way around these type things... Anyway, I haven't until today been able to get into my HughesNet account and the forum, that's why I haven't read your personal message until today. Unfortunately, only the first part of the message shows and I can't read the rest of it--is this a security thing? Can you resend the message and I will try my best to get in and read it promptly. Thank you!

@betsyarehart

If you click on the "Subject Title"(Usually the first line of text immediately underneath the authors name) of the personal message, it will open the message in full for you.

Thanks for the assistance in explaining private message, C0RR0SIVE.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, Betsy. I'll need that confirmation for those contact details so I can complete addressing your concerns.

Re "calling him to come out," yes that is correct, my first contact with the installer was by phone. My neighbor provided his phone number to me.

Re the signatures, I didn't know I was signing for a new contract; and I don't remember signing anything, but unfortunately that's not unusual for me.

Thank you for the tip. I don't know much about this stuff. I sure hate to think how it's going to be when I'm very elderly.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@betsyarehart wrote:

Thank you for the tip. I don't know much about this stuff. I sure hate to think how it's going to be when I'm very elderly. 

You learn it as you go along.  As time goes on you'll be able to give advice to new people from what you've learned, and by the time you're elderly you'll be an expert.  🙂