Hughesnet Community

The look of the home page.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljnich

The look of the home page.

Why is the home page so tacky? Some of the ads and fake news look disgusting. I understand the need for sponsors. But these ads and fake news blurbs are ridiculous And it's a visual nightmare. Can't you classy up the home page so I don't feel like I've opened some tacky magazine? I'm embarrassed to have anyone looking over my shoulder at the ridiculous internet provider I pay for. Don't bother to respond here. I won't check back. I'll know you read this when the home page is improved..
35 REPLIES 35
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Q: What is a "homepage"?

A: Whatever webpage you select as a home page in your browser (if any)

If you have a need to access specific Hughes related pages such as Dashboard, Web Mail or other functions why not just create a "Hughesnet" folder within your browsers favorites and store direct shortcuts properly renamed in that folder

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Don't bother to respond here. I won't check back.
Nice attitude, that one.  I bet you're a delight to know.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Kind of lie when my dog leaves a "present" in the yard then walks away.
maratsade

That's a very good analogy! LOL
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Fortunately the poster is not the only one who reads these.

There is a lot to be learned from the difficulties of others and the solutions offered to cure those difficulties.

The offending page is not even specified but I think I know the one being referred to.  The poster is correct in that that webpage is reminiscent of supermarket tabloids.

The big thing here is in understanding ... understanding that a "homepage" is nothing more than a designated "landing place" that can be any page on the web or even a blank page for that matter.

As stated, a user can store direct links to access any Hughes related function thereby bypassing all the junk.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Because this topic is quite useless anyway, lets post some puppy pics:

The "Girls" as puppies

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Agree, just because a page says "home" in the URL doesn't mean it has to be one's personal homepage. There's a setting in the browser for that. I rarely even go to the Hughes "home" page.

Oh, the other thing about that page, if you don't have ad and video blocking installed on browsers it will eat a lot of data if browser is left open on it for a lengthy time.
maratsade

They're adorable!
maratsade

The poster is correct in that that webpage is reminiscent of supermarket tabloids.
If this is the page referred to, then it does need revamping. It's busy and clunky, and looks very similar to the default page for the Edge and Explorer browsers.  Ugh.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Its a lot like raising kids again !

They are both from the same litter.

The smaller one, Tara, (7 lbs) is the feisty one. She will give you the "Paw" in a heartbeat.

Sometimes you could just strangle her ! You give a stern talking to and she will toss her head up and over in a sign of dismissal. That always makes me laugh, mad at her or not.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That is the one.

I just can't think of any reason to go to it and as BirdDog said, if left open it will burn large amounts of data.

maratsade

One of my dogs when he was a puppy.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Now you did it, my "isn't that adorable" meter is maxed out.
maratsade

You give a stern talking to and she will toss her head up and over in a sign of dismissal.
She must've learned that from a cat. LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Our latest addition. She is a Rat Terrier and the sweetest thing. My wife's baby.

maratsade

She looks like a sweetie pie, and so pretty! How old is she?
maratsade

I just can't think of any reason to go to it and as BirdDog said, if left open it will burn large amounts of data.
I've never used it before and can't really see a reason to.... Yikes.  I don't see anything that would eat data (I have flash blockers installed).  Is it video intensive?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ad and script block on my browser also but ... scrolling auto refresh and lots of ads.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

We took her in so not exactly sure but around 4 we think.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think the video changes to, so every time it does that's more data.