cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand the termination fee

New Poster

Trying to understand the termination fee

I have read this in several posts: "For the first 90 days after service installation, you pay $400 to break the contract. After that, the amount goes down by $15 every month ($385, $370, etc.)."

If the termination fee doesn't start decreasing until the 4th month and it takes 26 months to work it down, then including the first 3 months that would be 29 to 30 months total.

I understood I was under a contract for 24 months then I could leave. How does this all work out? I had the Gen5 upgrade done on 6-6-18 so where does that put me at for an early termination fee?

Thanks,

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Trying to understand the termination fee

@jerryhayden 

The Early Termination Fee is just like you read.  It's $400 for the first 90 days, then $15 less each month thereafter.  The contract is for 24 months. 

The problem is you're working it down to the last month having an ETF of $15.  It doesn't.  The 24th month's Early Termination Fee would be something like $85.  After that 24th month the contract is over, and you can cancel with no ETF. 

Edit:  I forgot to add that only the reps can tell you the exact amount for your ETF right now, but it's most likely somewhere around $265.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@jerryhayden 

The Early Termination Fee is just like you read.  It's $400 for the first 90 days, then $15 less each month thereafter.  The contract is for 24 months. 

The problem is you're working it down to the last month having an ETF of $15.  It doesn't.  The 24th month's Early Termination Fee would be something like $85.  After that 24th month the contract is over, and you can cancel with no ETF. 

Edit:  I forgot to add that only the reps can tell you the exact amount for your ETF right now, but it's most likely somewhere around $265.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

View solution in original post

New Poster

Thanks. Makes perfect sense now.

Jerry

Highlighted

@jerryhayden 

You're very welcome.  Smiley Happy  

Hi Jerry!

Welcome to the community, thanks for posting. Gabe's explanation is correct! The 24th month's ETF is $85, but once you're beyond 24 months, there is no ETF. If you have any other questions or concerns, let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->