Hughesnet Community

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lea

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

We have had HughesNet for several years. Nothing has changed with our computer settings. Everything updates in the middle of the night during free time. Our wifi has a 24 character password! Our neighbors all have DSL. Our allowance is being used up overnight while no one is using it. Went to bed with 32% and have Zero this morning.
178 REPLIES 178
Ron4

Will it still show me the 2 day value of 750 MB to start and replenish to 100 percent overnight, if I haven't gone below 50 percent the first day?

Not much chance of that for the past month or more. It is so slow I usually have

85-99% left at 2400.

Lea

I installed glasswire.  My meter refilled to 100% this morning, 6% more than expected. I am at 37 % and glasswire says 75 MB used today.  My husband was on his computer for almost 2 hours this morning shopping for tractor parts.  No videos, just browsing.  
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea remember it will only monitor the computer that its installed on, so if you have other devices connected they can be whats using your data, also I would install glasswire on all windows 7 and higher systems
Ron4

Lea,

How does that compare to the "Check Useage" Tab" on the speed test page for those hours today?

If you choose the Month list it will be short, since we started a new month Today.

But it tells you hour by hour how much Hughes says you used.

Ron

Lea

How do I get to the speed test page? I found the traffic meter on my Netgear router, but the numbers don't make much sense.  I need to study it more.
Ron4
William Nason

If you have not already done so you really need to get down to a single connected computer directly to the modem and eliminate the router altogether as suggested somewhere above.  That will let you know with absolute certainty that no one or nothing (like other wireless devices in your own household) is "mooching bandwidth". Then and only then can you troubleshoot what programs on that one computer might be the culprit.  Just my two cents 🙂
Lea

Not sure I completely understand the Check usage on the performance test page.  For the the hours 7:00 am to 9:00 am my glasswire programs said 75 MB used on my computer. My husband used his computer during those hours, browsing the web shopping for tractor parts, no videos. The check usage tab on Hughsnet performance page said:  7:00 to 8:00 Min Used 60, Download in MB 176.9 Upload 2.34 and from 8:00 to 9:00 Min used 60, Download 156.22 and Upload 0.75
This morning refilled to 81%.  Opened IE and then ESPN and immediately dropped to 74 %
William Nason

Have you tried eliminating the router and connecting just a single computer to the modem to see if the bandwidth drain continues in that configuration?
Ron4

Lea,

Near the top of this page you said your husband had a work phone that had to stay connected.

Do you have a VOIP unit between your modem and router or modem and computer if you have eliminated the router? If not are you talking about using a Smart phone ( your husband's work phone) to connect to the web via your router?

Lea

No VOIP.  He has an Iphone that is connected to wifi through our router.  It has been connected for 10 months with no problems.  
Ron4

You said you and your husband both have I phones.

The I0S8 update released on 17 September is 1.1 GIG. Did either of you install the update using your internet connection?

Ron

Lea

No updates for me.  I think he started and it failed a few days ago.  He still has 7.  I'll let him know that if he does get it that he needs to do it during free time or at work.  
Lea

That still doesn't explain my meter starting at 81% at 7:00 am  and dropping to 74% At 7:05 am just clicking on IE and then ESPN.
Lea

It just dropped from 60% to 58% by posting the two comments above.  That is all I have done.  Is that normal?
William Nason

Lea,
Did you just wake up the computer from sleep or hibernation when the meter showed 81%?  If so please keep in mind that the meter "sleeps" or hibernates in its current state right along with the computer.  Once brought out of sleep it will take some time to update itself (I think maybe 5 minutes?) so that it shows a current accurate % remaining.
William Nason

No - posting two comments definitely should NOT drop you 2% usage.
William Nason

I suspect either a program on your computer or some other device connected to your network is using data in the background to cause your data allowance to drop that quickly.  I would still try connecting one computer directly to the modem and see if the problem continues while in that configuration.
William Nason

Just a thought - you mentioned that he attempted to update his phone to IOS-8 twice but failed.  I am not familiar with Apple products but is it even possible that since the update process was initiated the phone KEEPS trying to download the update and failing thereby using up your data?  Try turning off WiFi on the phone and see if the depletion stops.
Ron4

Lea,

You also said you have Windows 7 and have your updates set to go at 0300.

On some W-7 units, depending on the "Power Plan" chosen or set up by the OEM,

you can have your check for updates set to check at 0300 but it either does not wake up or checks but doesn't do the actual download until you physically wake up the computer in the morning.

You can click on the Start button and type "Power" in the search box. It will take you to the Power Plan settings, and you will find many different plans plus modifications to the plans.

Do you ever notice a little icon in the taskbar that says updating if you hover your mouse over it?

If you click Start/All Programs and scroll to the bottom you will see the symbol and can click on the Windows update button to manually check for updates, as well as see when the last update was checked/ downloaded.

Are you on a daily or monthly allotment?

How many MB does the 2% you mention amount too.

As William said, you are going to have to isolate to one device at a time for a period of time to determine that the problem is not on your end.

Ron

Lea

UGGH!!!  I haven't been on complaining in awhile because everything went back to normal.  2 Iphones connected to wifi when home and our normal computer usage.  Both phones left home this morning and all computers turned off.  All updates stopped unless I check for them manually.  My allowance refilled this morning. I came home and turned on my computer and my data was at 39%.  Turned wifi off my phone and it was dropping while I was sitting at my desk doing nothing on the computer!!! Its went from 39 to 25%.  I signed in to write this and have dropped to 20%!!!