cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

Highlighted

Re: Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

No - posting two comments definitely should NOT drop you 2% usage.
Highlighted

I suspect either a program on your computer or some other device connected to your network is using data in the background to cause your data allowance to drop that quickly.  I would still try connecting one computer directly to the modem and see if the problem continues while in that configuration.
Highlighted

Just a thought - you mentioned that he attempted to update his phone to IOS-8 twice but failed.  I am not familiar with Apple products but is it even possible that since the update process was initiated the phone KEEPS trying to download the update and failing thereby using up your data?  Try turning off WiFi on the phone and see if the depletion stops.
Highlighted

Lea,

You also said you have Windows 7 and have your updates set to go at 0300.

On some W-7 units, depending on the "Power Plan" chosen or set up by the OEM,

you can have your check for updates set to check at 0300 but it either does not wake up or checks but doesn't do the actual download until you physically wake up the computer in the morning.

You can click on the Start button and type "Power" in the search box. It will take you to the Power Plan settings, and you will find many different plans plus modifications to the plans.

Do you ever notice a little icon in the taskbar that says updating if you hover your mouse over it?

If you click Start/All Programs and scroll to the bottom you will see the symbol and can click on the Windows update button to manually check for updates, as well as see when the last update was checked/ downloaded.

Are you on a daily or monthly allotment?

How many MB does the 2% you mention amount too.

As William said, you are going to have to isolate to one device at a time for a period of time to determine that the problem is not on your end.

Ron

Highlighted

UGGH!!!  I haven't been on complaining in awhile because everything went back to normal.  2 Iphones connected to wifi when home and our normal computer usage.  Both phones left home this morning and all computers turned off.  All updates stopped unless I check for them manually.  My allowance refilled this morning. I came home and turned on my computer and my data was at 39%.  Turned wifi off my phone and it was dropping while I was sitting at my desk doing nothing on the computer!!! Its went from 39 to 25%.  I signed in to write this and have dropped to 20%!!!
Highlighted
New Poster

WOW thats a lot of drain
Highlighted

Lea,

Have you tried unplugging your modem and your router for about 30 minutes; then plugging in the modem and letting the lights stabilize for about 5 minutes before you plug the router in. Let it stabilize a few minutes before you bring your computer out of sleep.

Charles,

Could you, Gwalk and Sgoshe give us a simple explanation of the cause and effects of data looping?

Ron

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Short version,

At times the modem will get the command to update its firmware.

Sometimes ... rarely, but it happens, the loading of that firmware will fail, the modem will reboot and go to its "fall back" firmware, and then try to update again, in an endless loop.

That is one scenario ....

It can be proven/disproven by disconnecting the LAN cable from the back of the Hughes modem for a period of time (keep a paper log) and doing "before/after" after screenshots of the most accurate of the usage meters ..... this one:

It can be found here (after logging in):

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Highlighted

Does the firmware update or the failure to update and looping get charged to the customer's data allowance?

Is the modem automatically rebooted each day at 2 AM and 7 AM?

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Ron,

Firmware updates are usually very small in size, and yes they do get charged against your usage.

No, the modem does NOT get automatically get rebooted every day (or night)

Reboots will occur as the result of an "overheat" *, one of the front LED's will turn RED as an indicator, or as the result of a firmware update, but should not go in an endless cycle, or as the result of a user doing a "on the fly" reset from the modems SCC.

Modems can also reset due to AC power losses AND an improperly seated connector (DIN connector) between the modems "power brick" and the plug on the back of the modem.

That sucker goes in HARD !. You would swear it was seated properly but it isn't.

That  plug (modem rear) should NEVER be used to reboot the modem !

This can cause severe damage to the modem. That "plug" and those tiny pins were never intended to be used as a "switch:.