Hughesnet Community

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lea

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

We have had HughesNet for several years. Nothing has changed with our computer settings. Everything updates in the middle of the night during free time. Our wifi has a 24 character password! Our neighbors all have DSL. Our allowance is being used up overnight while no one is using it. Went to bed with 32% and have Zero this morning.
178 REPLIES 178
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lea, I don't see where you ever did this as Liz requested:
https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1113212/27429-8e6k5o.jpg?1414421949
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea if you insist on leaving the router hooked up at least clear the traffic monitor and write down what time you did this and clear Glasswire and then take a scree shot of the status meter then in 24 hours take a screen shot of the status meter, traffic monitor and glasswire and post the screen shots here and we maybe able to see whats doing it. I would also change the password for the wireless in the router just to make sure no one else is using it.
Justin Hill

This service was never close to what we were under the impression it was supposed to be! Our 30gb plan was gone in under 10 days and every time I called they made promises that it would be better " we can fix you up" lol Ya just long enough that I can't get out of contract without payin up! $400 and $300 if I don't remove and send back dish and all equipment? What a joke! Thanks Hughes net you really helped us realize we will make sure everyone in our area will know how you operate!
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Justin my experience is just opposite of  yours. I have always received higher speeds than advertised and by setting the playback setting in Netflix to SD I can watch at least 3 movies a week plus have 4 laptops on the internet all day long everyday and I leave the auto updates turned on so not everyone has an issue and those that do can usually get it fixed. When you sign up for a service its always best to research what your getting rather than signing up then hoping it will do what you want.
Justin Hill

We talked with sales and the installer about our usage and we were assured everything would be more than what we needed! So why not I thought!! Well it wasn't a week when I had to call and ask for help. Then we got the big run around of how they couldn't up our plan for some crazy issue over their programming that lasted 2 months with some little token help here and there but still no solution!! Then they were miraculously able to up the plan but it was used up In 14 days. Now all I was asking for was cancel without a charge since we were slightly mislead. However, I understand contracts and will let every new comer I meet and actually my wife also has said she already is making dang sure every one she meets in a fast pasted coffee shop as well knows what a terrible service it is here!!!!
Justin Hill

We talked with sales and the installer about our usage and we were assured everything would be more than what we needed! So why not I thought!! Well it wasn't a week when I had to call and ask for help. Then we got the big run around of how they couldn't up our plan for some crazy issue over their programming that lasted 2 months with some little token help here and there but still no solution!! Then they were miraculously able to up the plan but it was used up In 14 days. Now all I was asking for was cancel without a charge since we were slightly mislead. However, I understand contracts and will let every new comer I meet and actually my wife also has said she already is making dang sure every one she meets in a fast pasted coffee shop as well knows what a terrible service it is here!!!!
Ron4

Lea,

With all the other hoops you are being asked to jump through it would be interesting to check when Windows Update has been checking for updates the next few days. Start, All Programs, Windows update will show you the last time windows checked by time and date. That doesn't mean it made the update at that time since it is on the BITS download system which only downloads when nothing else is going on, pauses if there is, and resumes the next time the pc is on. Defender, which should be off since you have McAfee, and a few other windows programs update the same way.

What home page do you use in your browser?

A few of the news channels you mentioned checking as well as the Hughes home page have way too many large changing pictures and little videos running on them these days for limited broadband.

Even the home page of Microsoft Bing has far too many images. If you leave any of these open in a tab while looking at others or nothing there is a lot of usage. A search engine page that is very plain and mostly text is the way to go. They are getting hard to find as Google Search is adding more junk all the time. 

What email program do you use? Some of them check for new mail every 15 minutes but some almost instantly whenever they are open. Send yourself an email and see how long it takes to arrive back in your inbox with the program open.

McAffee should have a History Log and/or a Performance graph that will show you everytime something tries to come through it. You will be amazed at the activity that goes on in the background.

It should tell you each event and when it happened. If you have some of the common malware trying to gain access it may block it but there will be activity ( usage) every few seconds. Actor PID is a typical one. You can look it up on the web and see how much trouble it has been for many folks that are completely unaware it is trying to mess with their computer.

We all think nothing has changed in the way we browse and use our computers but the sites we browse have become more and more cluttered every year and the size and frequency of updates to windows and other software we have installed has become ridiculous, at least in my opinion.

Ron

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Very well put Ron
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Justin if you would start your own post and provided your resent case number or the serial number from the label on the back or bottom of your modem then tomorrow the mods can locate your account and they have the means to listen to the recorded sales call and if you were misled or even lied to then they will work with you to straighten it out
Lea

I had updates set to 3:00 am for years with no problems.  I turned off all updates.  I have to manually check for them.  I only do that during "free time".  I have live.com email that I have to sign into.  I have Windows live mail 2011 that I receive my hughesnet email on and it does not check without me opening it.  I do not leave my mail accounts or browsers open.  
I use Google Chrome as my homepage.  My husband uses Hugesnet.  His computer is never left on if he is not using it.  I do not use microsoft bing.  
I have Malwarebytes and I have checked for malware.  I have checked for viruses.  

I have only seen a data drain happen a few times.  Most of the time it is after we have gone to bed or when no one is home.
Lea

sgoshe, scroll up.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You said you had the computer connected, you're supposed to disconnect everything after taking the initial reading, then reconnect the computer after at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
Ron4

Then just check your data usage before going to bed and unplug the LAN cable from the back of your modem. Plug it in when you get up and check the usage again.

There is a delay in the meter so if you just finished downloading something big prior to unplugging a significant difference might show but if you are just browsing there should not be much difference. Doing that every night for a week will give an obvious conclusion as to where the problem is happening without jumping through all the other hoops.

I thought you were reporting a big drain in the daytime while you were just browsing.

Have you set McAffee definitions and program updates to not happen automatically?

Sorry for my mistake.

Ron

Lea

I also update McAfee manually.
Ron4

When your data went from 80 to 46% two days ago, could you post screen captures of your McAfee history log during that time. It may take more than one screen shot to cover the period unless you can make a .pdf print of it. That should show what was coming in and going out during that time.

Ron

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea when your status meter says 100% how many MBs does it show you have?
Lea

At 7:00 am this morning my status meter refilled to 96% and my router traffic meter rolled over to zero.  I was not on line.  I opened my status meter and watched it drop from my desktop.  I took screen shots of the router, the status meter and glasswire.  I was on line during free time.  You will notice that on glasswire since it starts a midnight.  Notice the date and time are on all of the screen shots.  
I left for work at 7:45.  No one has been home today.  I took the next screenshots showing usage while no one was home.  

Lea

This is the second set of screen shots when I returned home.  For some reason they would not post with the last ones. 
Lea

When my status meter is full, it says 500 MB.  If i use less that 50% it rolls over to 100%.  If I use more that 50% it goes up 50% plus the left over from the day before. If there is nothing left over, I start the day with 50% which is 250 MB
Not sure how to do the McAfee history log.  I will check it out later.  I'm out of time for now.

Ron4

Double click the McAfee icon in the task bar or on desktop and select all history.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/webhelp/5/1033/index.html#GUID-ADC79F28-A01D-4E2C-B57C-614BAEAF3...

I only used McAfee when it is pre-installed on a new computer until the time runs out, but that is the way it worked for me. Check the above site to see how to do it and use the other features. You could also look in Help.

Go back in time to the incident the other day and also look at why you lost data allowance today while at work.

Your screen captures are a bit small for my old eyes but Charles McCool appears to see them ok. If you can make a .pdf of the list then the text size is easily enlarged.

Photo captures in .png or .jpg do not enlarge well.

Ron

Lea

Ron, I think if you double click on my screen shots they will enlarge for you to see.
This is the history that I got from McAfee for this morning.  It all looks the same.  One block after another from similar addresses.