Hughesnet Community

not happy with service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annie1193

not happy with service

I have only had my service for 2 months and  am not happy with it. they did not show up to install on the date agreed upon.  hughesNet douse false advertising. I was never told I was going to be limited to how much I could use the service per month. after upgrading to 15000mb and paying $82 a month and only being able to stream and have internet 1 DAY I called to cancel and they want to charge me $400 because I would be breaking my contract one that I was never told about. and I also did not agree for auto draft and they took payment out before the due date over drafting MY BANK ACCOUNT. they really need to explain everything to new customers before they agree to A contract with them ..
8 REPLIES 8
brandon1

Well... if you are not told about something is it not up to the consumer to do a bit of research. Do you have to be spoon-fed everything? Do a bit of research before investing money into something expensive. Hughesnet has all their information in clear print http://legal.hughesnet.com/
Feel free to do some reading.
Also you did agree to auto draft when you gave hughesnet your CC information. Again check out hughesnet legal.

And they dont have to explain all this, the customer needs to ask. Its amazing how many people sign up for stuff without even doing just a bit of reading, then asking questions about what you read.
Lisag48

I can totally relate to this post. I had the exact same experience. I do not understand with so many complaints of this same thing, how they stay in business?? I am so disappointed.
Lisag48

I would like to say this, I did ask questions when I signed up for services. The representative was misleading.  I was very mislead!!!!!!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Take a look here and click on the Low, Normal, High buttons. Don't even have to enter any information but will be more accurate if you do.  https://www.cableone.net/pages/datacalculator.html

Notice with Normal it shows only 4 hours of HD video streaming a month and equals 11.732 GB of data per month.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

annie, post your modem's serial number so the Forum Mods here can look up your account. If there was a recording of the sales call, they may be able to review it.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Lisag48

I understand that, but does that make it right for poor expensive service, that is clearly misleading?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Annie,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear this and I want to assure you we are here to help. We'll go ahead and request a sales call review. If our agent misrepresented our service you may have recourse. I'll post back once I have more info. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Annie,

We received feedback from your sales call review and we were able to determine that all necessary information was provided to you during the sales call. The agent was clear and about your data allowance and your bonus bytes. Here is the review in full for you to look over:

After reviewing the call, the agent did cover the correct data allowances in each package discussed.  Additionally, the agent did correctly disclose the timeframes for bonus bytes, and read all required disclosures regarding streaming.

(4:06) Customer states that they will be using the service to watch Netflix, so the agent responds with the required verbatim disclosure regarding streaming, “Ok so you’re definitely going to be able to enjoy Video streaming and conferencing with the HughesNet Gen4 service. You will actually be able to watch about 20 hours of standard definition movies a month with our most popular mid-tier plan, and with your free status meter you can even monitor your monthly data allowance.”

(6:52) Agent explains the package correctly during the sales pitch as having 10 Mbps and 10 GB of data.

(15:33) Customer asks about data, and agent explains as having 10 GB of data and 50 GB of bonus bytes which are available between 2am-8am.   

(16:30) Agent explains the Pro plan as having 15 GB of data and 50 GB of bonus bytes.

(22:18) Agent reads data streaming disclosure in final T&C’s, “Usage is subject to a Fair Access Policy. Therefore, extensive data streaming can cause you to hit your monthly data allowance.”

Take note, the Early Termination Fee, authorization to charge your card for your first payment, and all other contractual conditions are read during the final part of the call. We did not find our agent to be misleading in this case so any fees incurred from cancellation you will be responsible for. 

If you would still like to cancel you will need to call back in to our support center. However if you would like more help in better managing your data usage here are some tips to get you started.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris