excessive dsta usage suddenly

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aria
New Poster

excessive dsta usage suddenly

suddenly data usage  so i bought another 15 GB of tokens and it is almost gone in six days.

that is the amount I have for monthly use and rarely use it all.

have not used internet any more than usual

would like to find out what is wrong and have it fixed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aria,

Thanks for reaching out! Upon looking into your account, the first thing I'm noticing is your alignment is off by quite a bit, and we'd definitely like to get that resolved as soon as possible. A technician will reach out to confirm and schedule the visit, at no cost to you! 

It seems your data reset today, on the 28th. There has been less than 1GB used today, which is a good sign. It appears all of the usage is coming from a desktop directly connected to the modem. About 670MB have been used today by that computer. Are you performing any internet activities that you haven't in the past?

Thanks,

Remy

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@aria 

Something/someone on your network is using this data. It could be anything, such as software updates, devices (computers, internet-connected TVs, etc.), large downloads, ads on pages, and more.  Have you recently bought something that is connected to the internet? A Roomba, a smart TV, a Ring camera, etc.? All those can use a lot of data fast.  15 GB gone in 6 days is 2.5 GB average a day. That amount of data can easily be used just with streaming or with smart devices. 

It falls on you to figure out what is using this data and to fix the leak(s). It takes a bit of detective work, and here's a post that tells you how to do it:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

i do not use any smart devices do not have tv or any of those things you mentioned. No new programs  and have malwarebytes premium and all scans are clear.

I have had a lot of problems with modem and it was supposed to be replace but was told one was sent and never receiver and then charged for it.

i live in off grid  system and turn computer off every night to save electric.

using internet no more than usual .

Also had to buy more tokens and was supposed to get free ones which never got

First got one for 5 gb and that did not help then got one 10 gb and still did not help so got another 5 gb  all since aug 21 and never received the free ones .

The modem has problems.

aria
New Poster

4m ago

i do not use any smart devices do not have TV or any of those things you mentioned. No new programs  and have malwarebytes premium and all scans are clear.

I have had a lot of problems with modem and it was supposed to be replace but was told one was sent and never receiver and then charged for it.

i live in off grid  system and turn computer off every night to save electric.

using internet no more than usual .

Also had to buy more tokens and was supposed to get free ones which never got

First got one for 5 GB and that did not help then got one 10 GB and still did not help so got another 5 GB  all since Aug 21 and never received the free ones .

The modem has problems.

maratsade

@aria 

The HughesNet reps are around M-F during business hours, and hopefully one of them will reply to you tomorrow. They can run remote diagnostics on your modem (your modem needs to be plugged in and turned on for this to work) and check on status of the modem you were told you were being sent. I hope everything resolves quickly for you. 

aria,

Thanks for reaching out! Upon looking into your account, the first thing I'm noticing is your alignment is off by quite a bit, and we'd definitely like to get that resolved as soon as possible. A technician will reach out to confirm and schedule the visit, at no cost to you! 

It seems your data reset today, on the 28th. There has been less than 1GB used today, which is a good sign. It appears all of the usage is coming from a desktop directly connected to the modem. About 670MB have been used today by that computer. Are you performing any internet activities that you haven't in the past?

Thanks,

Remy

no more than usual. I did finish watching a webinar that was started before but no more that usual,
Yesterday after contacting you with the problem suddenly seemed to stop using an excessive amount .
I usually do not use up all my monthly amount and rarely have to buy a very small tokens to get me through.
My modem was supposed to be replaced over a year ago and was told that one was sent but never got it.
Then was charged for one but was able to remove the charges.
This time i bought 5 gb as that should have been enough but no so i bought another 10 gb just in case and that went very
fast so then bought another 5gb and suddenly there was only 600 plus mb left.
I bought more that I use in a month and it all only lasted about six days.
I also bought the tokens with free ones equal to what I bought .
All this should have been more that enough.
My modem gets turned off at night due to off grid electric by hydro and solar and when turning it on in the morning the top light
started turning light red which was why modem was to be replaced
Now when turned on it is very bright red which I was told was due to heating up but cannot be heating up when it had been
off for over twelve hours
I do not hear very well over phone and only have a land line phone so communication needs to be through email.
I would really like the free tokens promised.

aria,

Thanks for following up! I will have additional tokens added free of charge to attempt to help out. The technician should have equipment handy to help with the modem!

Thanks,

Remy

I received and email from  Hughes Net community  ' Did I get the answer I needed" at the bottom of the message was a place to reply so I did and it was returned.

Your repair service will not allow me to reply so that an appointment can be made as they insist that I can only reply by phone and land line phone service is down and I do not hear clearly on phone they will not allow email communication so cannot get any needed repair.  I tried to send them email message as to why I cannot use phone to set up an appointment and The reply was do not send email only use phone.This is so asinine stupid that what kind of repair will I get.
I have paid many months of quick repair service all for nothing as now nothing.

So there is no way to get repair so it seems that I am forced to abandon Hughes Net if It is impossible to get repair service

aria,

Thank you for following up! I'm sorry to hear that we're having trouble finding a date. Do you have certain days or times throughout the week that you will be available for a technician to come out? I will go ahead and have the calls made for you to make sure we get someone to your location!

Thanks,

Remy

why am I having so much problem posting a reply that never shows up I am just now learning how to do this

I must be doing something  wrong . so where did my post go .

I wanted to respond with information about contact date but it seems as if information just vanished.

I clicked on reply and typed information and clicked post and nothing has shown up.

this whole thing is getting very frustrating and stressful.

Please advise

maratsade

It's normal to have trouble posting if you're not used to it.  Your post may still be in your drafts. You can find your drafts by clicking on your picture at the top of the page. When you do that, you go to your profile. When I click my picture, I can see a section labeled Drafts and there are several posts there. If you  go to your drafts list and see the post you're missing, you can click on it, and when it opens, you can click on "Post" to try to publish it again.  If you don't see your post, try creating a new one. It's not the end of the world; it's just a little annoying. But it'll pass. 

I know this is all frustrating, but you're only making yourself crazy. Remy is working to help you, has already given you free tokens for your trouble, and is trying to arrange a tech visit with you. Be patient with yourself as you're learning, and things will improve. 

Is this it: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/repair-service/m-p/140615#M93607

You may have created a new post/thread when you intended of replying to this thread.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I think what they're trying to do is reply to Remy re dates/times when they're available for a tech visit. 

Remy thank you and everyone trying ti help.

Go ahead and just set a dating .Without being able to directly contact repair it could be very hard to locate my property.

As this is a very rural area and many roads are not marked. i usually have to make arrangements to meet someone

and then they follow me to my home.

The road is about 14 miles from nearest town and them 3 miles up a dirt road that at times looks like a trail through a forest.

Coordination of time  is important to connect so without phone use that is only by email at this time.  Cell phone service is not available in a lot

of the area. I do not have cell phone service where I live.

GPS or google maps are inaccurate in rural areas .

I will be surprised if they find my place .

I  will unlock my gate on the date of service given .

aria,

Thank you for your patience, and we truly appreciate your cooperation! I've spoken with the local technician company handling your order, and I was able to schedule a visit for you on Saturday, September 9th, between 12PM - 2PM! I will be sending additional information via private message so you can get in contact with them over the internet instead of having to call! Please let us know if you receive the private message!

Thanks,

Remy

Remy

Why did I just receive a email from HughesNet thanking me for ordering hughes net and are coming to install my Hughes Net system.

Someone is under the impression that  I ordered Hughes Net and as they already have my credit card number on file will I get charged  for another system

I only ordered repair service.

Okay now its enough.

I am 82 on Friday and on social security and will stop anyone from installing this  and yes I am very capable of doing that .I

I did get your private message and will follow your instructions.

I really thank you so very much for all your help and kindness.

I will do my best to get through this.

aria,

Thanks for the follow up! Upon looking into your account, I can't seem to find an email that was sent out automatically by us matching this description. Are you able to list the email address for us, so we can confirm this? You won't be charged for an additional installation setup, as the technician order requested is strictly for repair.

Thanks,

Remy

I copied the email ,this is what the email message is

DO_NOT_REPLY@hughes.com

Dear *Redacted*,
Thank you for ordering HughesNet®. Your installation appointment details are listed below as well as the contact information for your certified technician.
Your Install is Scheduled for: September 09, 2023
Your technician will arrive between: 11 a. m. and 2 p. m.
Technician's Name and Phone#: *Redacted*
Distributor's Name and Phone#: *Redacted*
Site Account Number (SAN): *Redacted*
You may receive a phone call or text message from the technician to reconfirm your appointment. You can also call the assigned technician if you need to update your appointment or ask any questions regarding your installation.
If you are unable to reach the technician's company for any reason, please contact the assigned Distributor listed above.
Check out our Install FAQs for more information. For further assistance, call Customer Care at 866-347-3292 with your Site Account Number (SAN).
(Please do not reply to this email because the mailbox is not monitored.)
Thank you again for ordering HughesNet!

As the FAQs they listed when I checked on to see if I could get more information it was all about getting a whole system .

aria,

Thank you for that information! I edited your post to remove personal information of yours, as well as the company's contact information. I can assure you this will not be an installation visit, as I have already spoken with their representatives. No charge will be placed on your account for a new service. 

Thanks,

Remy

so in trying to respond and thought that i should send by private message was told that I had reached the limit of sending a private message.

So will try here  and below is a copy of message recently sent.

As the last message from you was sent as a private message I thought that that is the way I am supposed to respond . Hughes webmail response was message sent failed to deliver. So will try here. 

there was no response.
Right in the middle of sending email hughes web mail does not respond and then get message your session has expired.
This happens everyday two or three times and have to resign in.
So at times when I thought an email was sent  maybe it is not or the repair company just does not do emails no matter what they have said.
So just have to live with a modem that shows signs of potential problems not working.
All I can hope for is that it keeps working until forest fire season is ended as this is the only way I can get evacuation warnings is with the internet email.
I need to do some research into any other internet provider available in my area
I thank you for all the help you have given me . I have learned how to post and send private messages.
Knowledge is great to have.
Aria