Absolutely Useless.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jey65
New Poster

Absolutely Useless.

I have had HughesNet for close to a year now, and have been disappointed with it from day one. I just work so dang much that I haven't had the time to do this until now. Simply put, it just doesn't do what I was promised when I signed up. I was told that my initial package purchased would be "plenty" of data for just 1 person in the household. B.S. I was told that it would stream "HD" movies with no problem. B.S. When I called to complain, After "Checking out my service" the "Technician" i spoke with told me "Oh well", and that what I was getting was the best I could get in my area with the current plan. I was talked into the 30gb plan and told it would have faster download/streaming speeds and would DEFINTELY be enough data for one person. Neither of those statements turned out to be true.

Here's the truth of the matter: After around 15-30 minutes of connection failures, I can usually limp thru a movie (usually Netflix) streaming at a video quality just below 1970's rabbit ears, with it pausing to buffer every 3-5 minutes or sooner. The only e-mail I can send without it timing out is text only. No attachments. When I try to get on the internet, I have to go thru numerous "Unable to connect" or "Website too busy" screens before it will finally load the webpage(and then very slowly). The statement that the 30gb plan allows for 45hrs of HD streaming is complete and utter B.S. If I watch 6-7 movies a month, a little YouTube, and download a few emails, the data is gone. I am one person, who works all the time, and still run out of data every month. Its not like I'm sitting around burning thru the data all day and night. Oh, yeah, it somehow manages to use data even when all my devises are COMPLETELY turned of.

As far as i am concerned This service was a complete and utter misrepresentation at best, and a down right scam at worst. Judging by the other posts I have read on here, I am far from alone in this belief. I have not been given what I was promised, not even close, and plan on terminating my subscription due to a failure to provide services promised.

Digital blocking, constant buffering, and blurry video is NOT "HD". Getting mad and turning of my electronics is not the way I want to spend my precious few hours off duty.

30 REPLIES 30
MarkJFine
Professor

Think you wanted to post this in TECHNICAL SUPPORT. This area isn't for griping.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The 30GB plan offers the equivalent of 45 hours of DVD quality video, not HD video.  For HD video, it's more like 15 hours, or around seven two hour movies, like you said you watch. 

If you'd like help, I suggest that you start a new topic in Tech Support.  If you just wanted to vent, you succeeded.

It's unfortunate that, with the small amount of time you have available to you, you chose to rant/vent rather than utilize this support community for which it is intended, which is support.  

It's true. It's total crap.
maratsade

And what would be your issues with the system, Beluesky?  Any details you'd like to share? Anything people can do to improve your system? Or are you just bleating for bleating's sake? Wrong place for that, may want to try the herd's social media bleating locations. This is a tech support site. 

Beluesky whined:
It's true. It's total crap.

GabeU

@maratsade 

I feel that, like with so many other forums, when subscribers sign up to the Community they should have to read, and agree to, a concise version of the Community Guidelines/Rules, with the first part stating that this Community is for Support, as its title implies, and it is NOT social media.  And, though a place for things other than support, the General section, like the rest of the Community, it is still not meant for rants or venting.  There are other places on the net for that sort of thing.  

Perhaps the Community powers that be should think about implementing something like that.  The Community can still be an inviting place to get, or even give, help without having those sorts of posts/replies.  They help no one.  

maratsade

That's a great idea, @GabeU .  

Agreed. Short, simple popup that explains that up front with a link to the other Ts&Cs, and is logged to their profile.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

"The Community can still be an inviting place to get, or even give, help without having those sorts of posts/replies.  They help no one."

My response to that: So it's like Hughesnet Customer Service, or even your internet?

GabeU

@Jspyrogram wrote:

"The Community can still be an inviting place to get, or even give, help without having those sorts of posts/replies.  They help no one."

My response to that: So it's like Hughesnet Customer Service, or even your internet?

How would you know?  Rather than asking for help, all you've done on this community is invade someone else's support topic with pointless rants.

@GabeU wrote:

The 30GB plan offers the equivalent of 45 hours of DVD quality video, not HD video.  For HD video, it's more like 15 hours, or around seven two hour movies, like you said you watch. 

If you'd like help, I suggest that you start a new topic in Tech Support.  If you just wanted to vent, you succeeded.

It's unfortunate that, with the small amount of time you have available to you, you chose to rant/vent rather than utilize this support community for which it is intended, which is support.  

Is there a place to just vent on this community forum? 

I've heard a few people say that the forum isn't a form of social media which is interesting since it is actually just that. However, I think over time the term "social media" has morphed into only specific apps or websites. 

social media: noun, websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

GabeU

@thewarehouse wrote: 

Is there a place to just vent on this community forum? 

I've heard a few people say that the forum isn't a form of social media which is interesting since it is actually just that. However, I think over time the term "social media" has morphed into only specific apps or websites. 

social media: noun, websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

The purpose of this community is SUPPORT.  If people want to vent, they should do it elsewhere.  So, the answer to your question is no.  

As for this particular section, which we requested to be added, if you want to consider it social media, have at it.  Regardless, like the rest of the community, it's not a a place to vent.  If people would like to do that, they can use 'traditional' (happy?) social media and vent to their heart's content.

General Discussion A place to chat about tech or tech-related topics and just have fun. 🙂 *NOT FOR HUGHESNET SUPPORT* So by the description there, this isn't a place for SUPPORT. Forums are the 'traditional' social media... they were around before Instagram, Facebook, etc., etc., etc. But ok. We can disagree, no problem. Back to "happy" things...
GabeU

@thewarehouse wrote:
General Discussion A place to chat about tech or tech-related topics and just have fun. 🙂 *NOT FOR HUGHESNET SUPPORT* So by the description there, this isn't a place for SUPPORT.  

As I indicated by singling out this section in my reply to you.  

Regardless of your semantics centered argument, people know what social media means, and this support community isn't it.

@GabeU wrote:

@thewarehouse wrote:
General Discussion A place to chat about tech or tech-related topics and just have fun. 🙂 *NOT FOR HUGHESNET SUPPORT* So by the description there, this isn't a place for SUPPORT.  

As I indicated by singling out this section in my reply to you.  

Regardless of your semantics centered argument, people know what social media means, and this support community isn't it.

Well, gee. You're a tough one.

GabeU

@thewarehouse wrote: 

Well, gee. You're a tough one.

Maybe so, but arguing the definitions of social media and the description of this particular section seems pointless and makes absolutely no difference to the fact that this community is not for venting.  It's nothing against you, just the argument you're apparently trying to make.

maratsade

"social media: noun, websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

You're right, that's what social media is. And this community is not social media, as it is not  for enabling users to create and share content nor to participate in social networking.  And it's definitely not for venting. If you would like to vent, go to social media (Facebook, Twitter, and the like). 

@maratsade wrote:

"social media: noun, websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

You're right, that's what social media is. And this community is not social media, as it is not  for enabling users to create and share content nor to participate in social networking.  And it's definitely not for venting. If you would like to vent, go to social media (Facebook, Twitter, and the like). 

I was waiting for your reply.

maratsade

Aww, bless your heart. 

thewarehouse wrote:

I was waiting for your reply.

Not to be pedantic, but...

This is just a message board for the purpose of customer-assisted support.

This particular forum under this message board is meant as a light-hearted relief from some of the consternation that occurs in some of the other forums. A break room, if you will. It can appear to be social media-like given the content, but that's as far as it goes.

We really do frown on any kind of venting and negativity in this forum because although that might seem light-hearted to some, it isn't. All it does is defeat the forum's purpose.

Unhappytoo

100% agree with you. Not enough data, not enough speed, too expensive for what you get.