Absolutely horrible service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeannine
New Poster

Absolutely horrible service

I have HughesNet for probably a year now. I don’t think there’s ever been a month when I have good service. I have called in many times and worked with many technicians. I’ve had technician visits to my home. I can’t use my Echo; I had to disconnect my laptop; I can’t use Netflix because of buffering every 5 minutes; getting more than a few posts on FB is a hit or miss. I am now told that they can’t fix my problem. I’ve never worked with a company that can’t fix their problem. I have escalated these issues to upper management who have been no help at all. It’s very expensive and I am paying for something I certainly don’t have. Unfortunately I live in a mountainous area so I don’t have many
options for service. So so frustrating! Has anyone else reached this point? How do they stay in business?
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Satellite internet is not designed to use things like Echo.  The latency inherent in satellite internet makes this pretty much impossible.  Latency and other factors influence streaming, and while streaming is possible with satellite internet, it is not ideal.  If you got satellite internet thinking it would work like cable or fiber, you will not be happy, ever, with it.  

This is not a social media site. It is a tech and account support site, where people who have issues come to create a ticket for service. Your asking others about their experience is not the purpose of the site, as it doesn't help anyone, including you.  Issues vary by user and may have many different causes, even if the issue is the same. 

If you have a tech support or account issue that you need help with, please create a ticket. Go to the appropriate page (Tech Support or myAccount and Billing), and click "start a topic."  Explain your issue clearly and then wait until the HughesNet agents on this site, or fellow subscribers, respond to your ticket. 

It seems though that you have already done that, so what is your purpose here?  If you would like to vent, please use a social media site such as Facebook, Twitter, or the many others that are out there for that purpose.  This site here is not one of them. 

The company's customer base grows steadily; they have won awards and have high ratings.  But if you expect them to be like terrestrial internet services, you will most definitely be disappointed, as they are not, and cannot be, like those services. 

Jeannine wrote:
I have HughesNet for probably a year now. I don’t think there’s ever been a month when I have good service. I have called in many times and worked with many technicians. I’ve had technician visits to my home. I can’t use my Echo; I had to disconnect my laptop; I can’t use Netflix because of buffering every 5 minutes; getting more than a few posts on FB is a hit or miss. I am now told that they can’t fix my problem. I’ve never worked with a company that can’t fix their problem. I have escalated these issues to upper management who have been no help at all. It’s very expensive and I am paying for something I certainly don’t have. Unfortunately I live in a mountainous area so I don’t have many
options for service. So so frustrating! Has anyone else reached this point? How do they stay in business?

GabeU

@Jeannine wrote:
getting more than a few posts on FB is a hit or miss.  

Can you describe what you mean by this?  

BTW, an Echo can use a lot of data, so that you can't use it with HughesNet may actually be a blessing in disguise.  Others have had problems with HughesNet and Echos, and it may very well have to do with the higher latency inherent to satellite internet.  That's something that cannot be fixed or improved (blame physics).

I'm not sure why you'd have to disconnect your laptop.  If it's using too much data, you can lock it down to not do so.

For the streaming, you may want to look into PlayOn Cloud.

BAKER072
Freshman

maratsade

Create  a ticket, explain your issues calmly and politely, and be prepared to run tests if needed. 

Satellite internet is exactly what it was designed to be. It was not design to stream and play games, though you can do both in moderation. 

BAKER072 wrote:
I have been trying to figure out just how to do that . Even though from reading here may not do much good.
Direct Satellite internet isn't what it's designed to be.

Baker072,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Remy