Annual Pre-emptive Speed Drop Warning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Annual Pre-emptive Speed Drop Warning

As we've mentioned in here and in Tech Support several times, your beam is like a massive router whereby a great many people in your region share the available bandwidth. The weather for most of the country has also been frightful (for sake of a better word) so everyone has been indoors using their internet it if they have power, that is.

Why am I bringing this up? 26 Dec is the worst day of the year for satellite internet users. Many people just got new phones, tablets, TVs, streaming services, gaming platforms, smart appliances and who knows whatever else yesterday... and all of it is now on the internet, automatically downloading updates like crazy and contributing to an early visit to the FAP zone.

If your beam is especially congested, this is the most likely reason why. Hopefully the spike in usage doesn't last long... it usually doesn't... maybe about a week before everything tends to settle down. So please be patient.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Extra kudos for the simile. 👍

I notice this every holiday, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas, but others as well. People are off from work and they all seem to want to streeeeeeeeeeeam, so inevitably iCloud refuses to play nicely (my first indication the holidays are here is that iCloud just nopes the fell out of me) and sites that normally load just fine go into a bit of a bah humbug pout and refuse to engage.  😡  The weather outside being frightful (especially in Buffalo) adds to the misery.