Cancelling a contract without penalty

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4ghawk
New Poster

Cancelling a contract without penalty

I feel I have some justification to cancel my HughesNet contract without penalty.

In January 2020 I was contacted by a local Hughes Net rep/installer offering to inspect and upgrade my equipment which would result in a decrease in monthly charges. This sounded like a good idea; I accepted the offer and on 1/16/2020 an installer came and installed a new modem which I was told was needed to set up a new account to enable the reduction in monthly charges as promised. I was not aware at this point that it also included a 2 year contract. (Apparently contract and account mean the same).

I received an undated notice later that my HughesNet Service had been terminated, with instructions about returning the old modem. I perceived that this was just a request to return the old modem.  With this I complied, still not realizing I had committed to a new contract.

If necessary I can give the old and current account numbers.

I should have suspected when the 4 GB of data tokens I had didn’t carry over that we were dealing with a completely new commitment.

Things seemed to go well until the 7/16/2020 billing when the amount jumped by about $20.00.  I found out then that the promotional fee that was originally offered was for only a 6 month period; which was not apparent initially. This was certainly a lack of or poor representation of the offer. Now I have to go on every 3 months and ask for a new promotional period rate. This annoyance is actually another story and can be managed.

There is another issue that I feel might justify cancellation without penalty. Prior to the modem upgrade, I was able to stream videos from various sites (like Facebook, You Tube, and Skype) without buffering. This is not the case now.
I contacted support and they walked me through changing the channel I was on and this didn’t make a significant change. I also mentioned very slow upload speeds, which I have been led to believe may be a contributing factor with this problem. I have not called them back on this because my confidence in resolving issues like this with HughesNet is not too high.  

I realize that poor service is not by itself justification to cancel without penalty, but coupled with the lack of understanding regarding the setting up a new account/contract is certainly poor representation if not misrepresentation of what was being offered. If there was not a new contract involved I could cancel now without penalty.

When you call customer service, the reps try to help solve problems and answer questions, but they are not decision makers. Are there any suggestions about how I can proceed? Is there anyone I could contact that might be able to make a definitive determination about this? Could this post be referred to anyone that might be able to help?

1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You are posting to General Discussion, when your post belongs in myAccount and Billing. You should go over there, click the  "start a topic" button, and copy/paste what you have here.