cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data limits

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Data limits

Perhaps someone else can explain all of this in a much better way than I can.  I don't think you understand what all of this means and how it doesn't matter whether you use the latest technology or not,  it matters that the providers and other users do.   I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.  Good luck to you!

@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright wrote:

Though you may have one, there's no theory necessary to explain data caps as the reason they're in place has been explained over and over again.  It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with system capacity and throughput.  Data caps were around long before the first bit was ever streamed.    

Well, that's the isp companies line.

OTOH there are other theories::

https://www.cio.com/article/3075975/internet-service-providers/what-big-isps-dont-want-you-to-know-a...

@maratsade:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.  Good luck to you!

Hmmmml, I think my guitar playing buddy has a better line:

"And your honor, that's when I shot him"

:<)>

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sometimes a picture says more than words:

China_golden_week__3467014b.jpg

GabeU

@gaines_wright

So, your "OTOH refutation" is an article about data caps on ground based services that have hundreds, if not thousands of times more throughput and total capacity than satellite internet?  SMH.  

Perhaps it's this "ISP companies (sic) line" because it's based in fact.  

There's no point in continuing this discussion, at least from my end.  Facts, and the reasons based on those facts, don't seem to matter to you.  Conjecture, OTOH, does.   

Have a great day.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Professor

That picture must have been Delaware, just south of the bridge on 95 Saturday morning (or most times, iirc).

What a cluster*.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Installer
Sophomore

Data caps are coming to the major cable providers soon.  Don't be naive to think that it will stay the way it is.  Pay TV providers like DirecTV and Dish Network and even the cable companies themselves aren't just going to allow the customers to cut off pay TV subscriptions in order to stream through their internet connections.  Not going to happen.  Hughesnet has "high-speed" data caps to maintain the integrity of the advertised satellite performance across the entire service area.  480p streaming is supposed to be unlimited without interrutions or buffering while in FAP, but that can depend on the service offer area you are located in.  Hughesnet has been vigorously working to increase gateway capacity in the most heavily impacted areas and they have made huge strides.  If you are not able to stream in SD while in FAP, it will only be temporary.  Be patient.  The Gen5 service is really good.  It just blew up too fast when we launched last year.  Way more demand than HNS expected.  Way more.

maratsade

Very well said, @Installer.  

@@Installer wrote:

Data caps are coming to the major cable providers soon.  Don't be naive to think that it will stay the way it is.  Pay TV providers like DirecTV and Dish Network and even the cable companies themselves aren't just going to allow the customers to cut off pay TV subscriptions in order to stream through their internet

connections.  .............

I've read that that's already happening now.  That was the point of my original post  I.E. follow the money. 

OK everybody, before you start flaming me over this, I know all this doesn't apply to satellite systems yet. To paraphrase Yoda:  "It will!  It will!".

Be patient.  The Gen5 service is really good.  It just blew up too fast when we launched last year.  Way more demand than HNS expected.  Way more.

That would explain why so many people here have speed problems. 

"Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate--and quickly." 

Lazarus Long

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Installer wrote:

It just blew up too fast when we launched last year.  Way more demand than HNS expected.  Way more.

The same thing happened to the first Jupiter satellite... HNS didn't expect so many people wanting to be on the bird and didn't have the gateway capacity available in time for the first year or so...  I remember those growing pains... This time around it's worse overall mostly because the bird is covering twice the area.

I really hope Jupiter III can handle the load and that Hughes looks to instead of covering just major cities, have it cover the areas with the largest capacity issues.