Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directv

Senior

Re: Directv

@MarkJFine

I need a 20' cell antenna on top of my house

and booster inside to get 2 bars

if im putting a cell tower on the side of my house, I may as well put a $65 HDTV antenna up there with it.  :-)

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

@MarkJFine wrote:

And then I got my DirecTV bill.

The one that just went up 4% this month...

This is the reason for my interest in OTA. My Directv bill is $ 40 a month more than my HN bill. Both are one of lowest plans they offer.

Advanced Tutor

@kitnbob

LMAO....does my recent samsclub.com order for laundry soap, dish soap, and carpet shampoo count as groceries?

Our FedEx driver travels some 3 hrs (one way) from the FedEx hub to our house to deliver our packages...if I have several packages all coming in on different days, I will call him up and simply have him hold them until they all arrive at the hub, this way he's not having to drive up here multiple times in any given week.

Assistant Professor

@Reggie- You won't want to trade bills with me then. DTV costs are crazy enough, and between the way the networks 'negotiate' now and the way the F C C looks the other way... Imagine a major network like ABC or CBS being discontinued on your TV provider because of a contract negotiation. Nuts.

Incidentally, found this to be a pretty good resource for planning OTA: http://www.tvfool.com/

When it gets warmer was going to fetch the extension ladder and see if I couldn't manually rotate in some stations (aka TV DX like a proper caveman). Probably needed to tweak the thing when we had the roof replaced anyway.

Even thought of using a way to have my laptop local-skype a picture of the tuning meter of the TV up to my phone while I'm on the roof so I could see what was going on real time.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Senior

@bare65

That's Rich!!! Haa haa.... keeping your driver on speed dial.

Maybe we aught to get busi on that molecular transporter.  beam me up scottie

Advanced Tutor

of course, 'calling' up anyone, including the FedEx guy can pose it's own challenges, haha

right now, I have my cell phone (Verizon wireless) literally velcroed to the back of my headboard in the back bedroom as this is the only place...in the surround 20 miles radius of desert terrain, that I can pick up 1 bar...If the phone moves even in the slightest..so does the signal.

(thus the reason for the heavy duty velcro)

I pop in my bluetooth ear piece and can walk around the house carrying on a conversation for as long as I have that 1 bar on the phone...

It works 60% of the time...

When the weather is really crappy outside...and I need to make a call, I have to jump in our car and drive 20 miles up to the top of the hill to do so. Needless to say, we keep plenty of gas on hand...(closest gas station is 45 miles away, lol)

Senior

@MarkJFine

@Reggie

MarkJFine wrote: 

When it gets warmer was going to fetch the extension ladder and see if I couldn't manually rotate in some stations 

The Lava Antenna HD2605 that I recommended has a remote control to rotate the antenna. (like we ALL NEED another remote layin around the room)

advertised range of 100 miles. 

Junior

Have you looked into FTA satellite?

Senior

@bare65

Have you tried HughesVoice?  It's only $29.95 for the first 2 years. (then what?)

Advanced Tutor

Thank You, everyone for the great advice. Now it is time I go back doing more research.