cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experimenting with Alternate DNSs

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Experimenting with Alternate DNSs

Well, I don't know if it had anything to do with Cloudflare's DNS, but a little while ago I was having a heck of a time signing into DirecTV's site to pay my bill.  After a bunch of tries and getting error messages and such, I changed the HughesNet modem back to Google's DNS, unplugged the same, flushed the computer's DNS cache, shut it down, restarted the modem, then the computer, and everything worked just fine.  

I'm sticking with Google's DNS.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

For the LONGEST time I have used Norton ConnectSafe DNS...  However, apparently (just now found out moments ago...) they are retiring the free service for users for no real reason.  A lot of their routing products had those servers hard-coded in for DNS...

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/end-life-announcement-norton-conn...

Looks like I am gonna have to find a similar DNS that works with Hughesnet. Smiley Sad

With the way Hughesnet does things, most DNS services don't exactly work properly, especially ones like OpenDNS where you can customize things.  I have always used DNS as a first basic line of defense in fighting malware threats, and ConnectSafe always worked nice in regards to that.

Norton is saying to use "Neustar" but I am hesitent, and BLEH.  Someone shoot me.

Associate Professor

So... I tried out Neustar, pleasantly surprised in how well it worked, but at the same time, they block far more than they admit to... They classify Torrent Trackers as Malicious/Warez/Hacking, which is a bit absurd.

I suppose Neustar is great for a basic family, or a school or something, but for me... Yeah.. NO THANKS!

Le'sigh.

Distinguished Professor II

@C0RR0SIVE

Have you checked out Comodo Secure DNS?  Just an idea.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit