Hughesnet Community

Favorite Books?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay

Favorite Books?

It's National Library Sheflie Day! If you have a local library, or even a small home library/single bookshelf/nightstand with a book on it that you've been neglecting for months, you can share a shelfie Man LOL or some of your favorites in your collection! I can always use some good reads. 

I usually have my "library" on display

And for books that you'd typically see in a library, I've been reading through The Witcher series by Polish author, Andrzej Sapkowski. 

I'm a big fan of Fantasy, Horror and Thrillers, but I've been wanting to read more non-fiction as well. Any suggestions?

-Jay

16 REPLIES 16
MarkJFine
Professor

Hmmm... no Hush?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I do own the entire Hush run but it's hidden somewhere in one of my long boxes. 

I used to rotate the books on the wall regularly, but I've gotten lazy on that recently. Batman #612 was up on the wall for a long time!

Image result for batman 612"

-Jay

Of course there's this, too.btdkr.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

That's actually one I don't own in a first print, just the graphic novel form. It's on a short list of books I need to buy Smiley Frustrated

I have it digitally, which is fine for me. I can't justify the space for what I would have accumulated and disk space is cheap.

I used to have lots of long boxes of golden age comics (40s-60s) back in the mid-60s. They disappeared in one of our moves.

Worth adding that I used to have original newspaper-style copies of Rolling Stone and the first few years of Heavy Metal in the 70s. My hoarding skills started early.

If you need to offload any other comics, I'll send you my address. Smiley Wink

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm not much of a novel reader, as I don't really have the longer or more relaxed attention span required for it, but I do like reference works, and especially those concerning history.  I'm a sponge when it comes to historical information, and especially that concerning WWII, though the older I get the less of it I retain.  😛  I can also get lost for hours in Wikipedia articles.  

I am currently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, though, which is a bit odd considering I don't normally read things like that.    

maratsade

"am currently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, though, which is a bit odd considering I don't normally read things like that. "

I love the Meditations.  Yes, I'm weird.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"am currently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, though, which is a bit odd considering I don't normally read things like that. "

I love the Meditations.  Yes, I'm weird.

It's definitely a good book.  He was a pretty brilliant guy.  

BTW, did you notice that the introduction was LOOOOOONG for such a small book?   I thought, nah, this has got to be a mistake.  A third of the book is the introduction!  😛 

maratsade

He was amazing, and YES, they do make you wait a bit with that long intro!

That sounds intense, but I'm intrigued, so I'll look into it.

Don't really have a fave, but one very memorable book that affected me was house of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It made me scared of the dark again as an adult. Robot surprised A spooky and creatively mind-bending read.hol.jpg

I do have a couple of fave authors: Kurt Vonnegut and Haruki Murakami, but sadly it's been a few years since I picked up and (re)read any of their books.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Liz 

After reading a little about that book, it sound very interesting, and most definitely unique.  

maratsade

I love House of Leaves. It's weird and creepy. 

@Liz wrote:

Don't really have a fave, but one very memorable book that affected me was house of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It made me scared of the dark again as an adult. Robot surprised A spooky and creatively mind-bending read.hol.jpg

-Liz

maratsade

wtc.jpg

Currently reading this in when I have a few moments. 

(Looking forward to National Pie Day tomorrow!!)

Just read the synopsis, it looks interesting! I'll add it to my list of non-fiction to get to.

maratsade

It's actually very good, but I'm a corporate atto*ney, so it's of interest to me. I don't think it has superheroes in it, but it can be argued it does have villains. 😉

@Jay wrote:

Just read the synopsis, it looks interesting! I'll add it to my list of non-fiction to get to.