Fedora 26 Upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Fedora 26 Upgrade

Just downloaded 2679 individual rpms (2598 MB) in 26:56.

The small ones always slow it down, but well under 30' is surely a record for me.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
11 REPLIES 11
MarkJFine
Professor

26 installed, 25 cleaned... 10 hours later and just starting the validate/erase phases.... 😴

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Fedora is another flavor of Linux, right?  Is it directed at a specific demographic (like work, or as a Windows replacement, etc)?

Yes. Basically, Fedora is to RedHat as Firefox is to Mozilla. I run it under a Parallels VM for development that's specific to servers.

For example, I have a few "bots" (basically php scripts) that run on my server as well as the website's server to do specific things:

- One of those bots parses an RSS feed for the last 10 website posts and embeds them as bullets in an image. The image then gets tweeted to the website Twitter account 3 times a day.

- Another one of these fetches information from Google Analytics twice a day to get location-based hit information in a csv format for a tracking spreadsheet I maintain.

- There are others that I run periodically to get data from a European news aggregator to see where the site sits as far as leading stories, etc., showing trends of what headlines do well, etc. It then creates a web page (basically an log with an html header) so website staff can review the data.

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

Fedora is another flavor of Linux, right?  Is it directed at a specific demographic (like work, or as a Windows replacement, etc)?

Mint is a lovelier flavor. 😉

Been experimenting with Cinnamon desktop. It's interesting and I'm sure it works much better on Wayland than X11, but Parallels hasn't made the leap to hooking Wayland yet. So Cinnamon works kind of sluggish in Fedora.

That said, found that Parallels' internet and filesystem interoperability kernel modules are fubar under kernel 4.12.5. So it's been a fun few days.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Mint is a lovelier flavor. 😉

Yep.  LOL.  

I actually downloaded Linux Mint 18.2 64 bit Cinnamon last night and I'm going to install it on a spare HDD in this desktop.  I just want to play around with it some.  I've done that with other versions of Linux Mint in the past, then get bored of it.  Then again, I usually download and install MATE (I have that on my original desktop build (17.1)).  Perhaps Cinnamon will be more interesting.

maratsade

I've only ever downloaded/installed Ubuntu and Mint(Cinnamon).  I think Mint is the friendliest for my level.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I've only ever downloaded/installed Ubuntu and Mint(Cinnamon).  I think Mint is the friendliest for my level.

I think Mint is the friendliest, too, though it still takes some getting used to if you aren't familiar with it.  

I installed it, then downloaded the "manual" to read about it.  After reading about how important it is to choose a strong password, which I didn't do with the original install, I reinstalled it.  I also learned more about what I should and should not update.  Basically, I should have read through the manual first, but I sometimes flip through magazines from back to front, so why not do this in reverse order, too, right?  😛  Dumb move.  Lesson learned.    

Anyway, at least it's set up properly now, though I still have to "fine tune" it to my liking.  I doubt that I will ever switch to Linux Mint as my regular OS, but it will be fun to play around with.    

maratsade

I downloaded the manual but never read it....

I've referenced some of the Fedora help pages for things like configuring grub2 and specific upgrade notes, but never RtFM.

maratsade

I can turn on my computer...

@MarkJFine wrote:

I've referenced some of the Fedora help pages for things like configuring grub2 and specific upgrade notes, but never RtFM.