Hughesnet Community

For Corrosive, because I know he likes them so much! :) Spider Pictures...BEWARE!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For Corrosive, because I know he likes them so much! :) Spider Pictures...BEWARE!!!

I had been waiting a while for one of these guys to show up, and knowing how much Corrosive just loves them, I couldn't resist.  These are a bit fatter and more sinister looking than the other type of wolf spiders I get.  I won't touch these (except with my shoe).  Enjoy!  

100_0021-1.jpg100_0028-1.jpg

38 REPLIES 38
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My, what pretty eyes he, she, it has!

giphy (2).gif

GabeU

Another look at her pretty eyes....

100_0023.jpg

maratsade

Its eyes are looking at the camera -- it knows you're going to post its portrait to the Interwebs.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Its eyes are looking at the camera -- it knows you're going to post its portrait to the Interwebs.

That's a smart spider!  LOL.

It's a type of wolf spider.  I get two types, this one being the heavier and creepier of the two.  The other type are skinnier, though just as large, span wise, and the pictures in the previous thread were of the skinnier type.   https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/General-Discussion/CREEPY-PICTURE-WARNING-I-hate-it-when-it-rains...

The skinnier ones don't bother me as much, and if it's not that much trouble I'll actually attempt to catch them and transport them outside rather than doing them in, but the kind shown in this thread don't fare well when I see them.  They tend to be more aggressive if cornered, and though I've never been bitten by either one, from what I understand it can be quite painful.  Harmless, but painful.  

I was actually surprised that this one let me get as close to it with the camera as I did.  Next time I'll try the super macro setting and attempt to get even closer, but, to be honest, I hope there isn't a next time, though I have no doubt there will be.  

maratsade

Could be worse; could be a brown recluse or a black widow!  I get argiope spiders in the garden.  They hang there in an x-shape.  I've also seen black widows outside.  I see spiders inside but have no idea what species they are.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Could be worse; could be a brown recluse or a black widow!  I get argiope spiders in the garden.  They hang there in an x-shape.  I've also seen black widows outside.  I see spiders inside but have no idea what species they are.

We get those argiope spiders here, too.  I always find them on accident when walking through a field, and when you almost walk into one they take your breath away, that's for sure.  

You know that they actually make those awesome webs every single day?  A new one every morning.  Amazing, and they are amazing looking (both the spider and the webs).  

We don't get brown recluse or black widow spiders here, or at least not that I've seen or heard of.  Too far north.  Used to see a black widow every now and then when I lived in VA, though.  Was a heating and AC tech so I crawled through plenty of crawl spaces and old basements.  Never saw a brown recluse, though I know that they were there.  Had a counter guy working for me, when I went to the wholesale side of the business, and he had been bitten by one about a year before hand, but it kept acting up every now and again.  Those brown recluse bites are AWFUL!!!!

I can deal with snakes, but I don't do bugs. End of.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

There's a sizeable milk snake that I see around my property once in a while, and I see a garter snake probably at some point every year.  While my neighbors are afraid of them, I tend to leave them alone as they keep the mouse and mole population down.  I moved into this house in late 2004 and haven't seen a mouse, nor a mole, in over a decade.  Spiders, OTOH...LOL.  Eh..the house is well over 150 years old and we're way out in the boonies.  It's bound to have an insect every now and again.  I'll take the occasional country spider and snake over city honking horns any day.    

years ago this huge (I mean huge) black snake was working his way into the garage through a small crack between the rear door and the door jamb. I immediately tried to grab and pull the back end of it, which kept it from progressing, but my hands kept slipping. I called to my kid (who was 10 at the time) to get me a glove so I could grip it better. She decided to bring me a baseball glove (first thing she saw)...

True story.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

I've never seen a black snake here, though I know they can get REALLY big.   I have seen a sizeable water snake a couple of times, and the kind we have here, though not poisonous in the least bit, are VERY aggressive and will bite the heck out of you if you tick them off.  The milk snake I have, the last time I actually picked it up to measure it, was 43".  It's pretty big for a milk snake, but nowhere near as big as those black snakes get.  The first time I ever saw the milk snake was when I opened the outside basement door and it was sitting there, right under it, enjoying the heat from the sun warming the doors.  It scared the heck out of me as I had never seen one before and they are quite striking looking.  Once I looked it up to see what it was the fear went away, but for a split second I thought it was a copperhead.  

I'm actually pretty lucky here as we don't have anything at all in this area that is poisonous, nor any animals that we really have to worry about.  With that said, there have occasionally been black bears spotted around here, but I haven't heard of any sightings for over ten years now, though I'm sure they're still out there.

But....   

When I was a kid I missed the very first day of fifth grade due to a bicycle accident I had the day before (still have a good sized scar from it to this day).  Though I was supposed to be taking it easy I went outside due to boredom and went the front picture window.  My mother was inside reading so I tapped the window and waved to her, then happened to look down.  We had these juniper type bushes on either side of the window, and stretched between them was a snake.  I couldn't see its head, nor its tail, as both were behind each bush, but it was big enough that I froze, then backed up.  I told my mom, who told me to go and get the neighbor, who happened to be some type of naturalist.  He came over, looked at it, went back to his house and came back with a shovel.  Needless to say, after it was dead we found out that it was a water moccasin.  How a water moccasin got to Western NY is beyond me, and the only thing we could figure is that it hitched a ride on some type of produce truck and fell off of it near our place.  

A neighbor up the street kept exotic pets and we thought that, perhaps, it came from his place, too.  We never did figure it out.  

Had it not been stretched between the two bushes it surely would have struck me as I was within about a foot of it.  

maratsade

@MarkJFine,

So...home run??

@MarkJFine wrote:

years ago this huge (I mean huge) black snake was working his way into the garage through a small crack between the rear door and the door jamb. I immediately tried to grab and pull the back end of it, which kept it from progressing, but my hands kept slipping. I called to my kid (who was 10 at the time) to get me a glove so I could grip it better. She decided to bring me a baseball glove (first thing she saw)...

True story.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@MarkJFine,

So...home run?? 

IT'S OUTTA HERE!!!  😛

@maratsade wrote:

So...home run??

Got called for hand ball, protested, got sent off with a 3 match ban.

We've had a stink bug issue here for several years. I really hate those things. They'll buzz around the house when they're bored and they're bloody elusive little critters. Found one in my coffee pot once. Was not a happy camper.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

We've had a stink bug issue here for several years. I really hate those things. They'll buzz around the house when they're bored and they're bloody elusive little critters. Found one in my coffee pot once. Was not a happy camper.

They certainly do get into things, that's for sure.

I seem to be having more of a problem with little moths this year than anything else.  They're getting in somehow (I think around my windows AC) and I see one at least every other day.  And if the lights are off but the TV is on, they land right on the screen.  The little buggers!!!!!

maratsade

I don't see many snakes or spiders, but I do see some. Mostly black snakes, and sometimes little silver-colored snakes (very pretty; don't know what they are).  One of the silver snakes bit one of my dogs on the nose when the dog got too close.  I see the aurantia spiders and orb weavers and some sundry little spiders, and lots of stink bugs. I'm ok with insects, snakes, etc. I won't cuddle with them, but I tend to like them. 

@GabeU wrote:

@MarkJFine wrote:

There's a sizeable milk snake that I see around my property once in a while, and I see a garter snake probably at some point every year.  While my neighbors are afraid of them, I tend to leave them alone as they keep the mouse and mole population down.  I moved into this house in late 2004 and haven't seen a mouse, nor a mole, in over a decade.  Spiders, OTOH...LOL.  Eh..the house is well over 150 years old and we're way out in the boonies.  It's bound to have an insect every now and again.  I'll take the occasional country spider and snake over city honking horns any day.    

GabeU

@maratsade

Is it just me or does this year seem to be an abundant stinkbug year?  Seeing a lot more of them than usual.  All different kinds, too.  

maratsade

@GabeU, I've been seeing a lot of stinkbugs now for several seasons.  They're all so unique, but they're also so bumbling and keep smashing against things and people.  And they smell like bug spray to me. 

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade

Is it just me or does this year seem to be an abundant stinkbug year?  Seeing a lot more of them than usual.  All different kinds, too.