Hughesnet Community

For anyone else that may be comparing their HN data usage to their 3rd party router data usage....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For anyone else that may be comparing their HN data usage to their 3rd party router data usage....

Since my data reset at 12:00AM on Feb 5th, I've been running everything through my Netgear router.  

Here is the comparison, side by side (click to enlarge)....

Screenshot (103).png

HughesNet's total data usage is 16,759MB, while the router's is 15,595MB.  So, while 1,164MB isn't a huge difference, it is a difference.  Has anyone else noticed this?   

BTW, I'm posting this here, rather than tech support, due to the fact that the difference isn't that much, and also that I have no way of verifying that either source is perfectly accurate, or even which is MORE accurate. 

Further, this isn't a "HughesNet is stealing my data thread", a "Gen5 uses more data than Gen4 thread", or any other complaint thread, so please don't post those replies.  This is ONLY concerning direct data comparisons and/or the discussion of such.   

In addition, at present I have no way of knowing how accurate my Netgear router is, so I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm saying with any certainty that my data usage tally by HughesNet is incorrect.  It may very well be that the HughesNet tally is correct and my Netgear tally isn't.  This thread is more for knowledge and a little bit of fun than for anything else.  If anyone else wants to add their comparisons, please feel free, but again, this isn't a tech support thread and is only for study and fun.    

14 REPLIES 14
GabeU

Resetting in a little over four hours.  Difference, at present, is 1,199MB.  

Screenshot (104).png

I think it is a big enough difference though at over 1GB in a month on loss of data the end user can use.  I wack through mine fast so having the extra 1GB would be nice.  😉

TJ

@GabeUwrote:

Resetting in a little over four hours.  Difference, at present, is 1,199MB.  

Screenshot (104).png

GabeU

@macsocietywrote:

I think it is a big enough difference though at over 1GB in a month on loss of data the end user can use.  I wack through mine fast so having the extra 1GB would be nice.  😉

TJ

I have no doubt that, were I closer to hitting the wall with my data each month, I might be more vocal about a 1GB+ difference.

I've also got to make sure that it's not just my router.  I'm thinking about seeing if my folks' D-Link router has a data counter, and swap mine with theirs if it does, just for the time being.  That way I can see if the discrepancy is just with the Netgear router or if it's with the D-Link, too, and therefore, real.

maratsade

That's very interesting, @GabeU.  Maybe gremlins are using the network at night.   🙂    I think though that you could approach the mods to maybe run diagnostics from their side.  Or they may have heard about this issue before and may know why it happens.

GabeU

@maratsade

I may very well do that, but I first want to make sure that it's not my Netgear router that is giving a flawed data count.  

maratsade

Good point. The measuring device may definitely be the culprit. Do post your findings. I'm curious to see where so much data may be going. 

I may very well do that, but I first want to make sure that it's not my Netgear router that is giving a flawed data count.  

GabeU

Well, a week into the new cycle.  Still using the same router.  164MB difference, in HughesNet's favor.   

HughesNet - 3053MB

Router - 2889MB

Screenshot (107).png

GabeU

Thirteen days into the new cycle and a 645MB difference, again in HughesNet's favor.  My router's round number was pure luck and coincidence.    

HughesNet - 9645MB

Netgear - 9000MB

HN and NG data comparison.jpg

GabeU

HN-Router Data.jpg

1,190MB difference.  Eleven days to go. 

GabeU

Screenshot (161).png

1320MB difference.  But, with that said, about two weeks ago I ran two 25MB TMN download tests while connected directly to the HT2000W (sans Netgear router), so 50MB should be deducted from the total, instead making the difference 1270MB.  

Hi Gabe,

Can you show me today's traffic report from your Netgear? If you have glasswire data too that will help. Thanks!

GabeU

Amanda,

Sure.  I don't think that Glasswire will help, though, as I performed the W10 1803 update on my laptop and also updated my notebook, both this morning.  The laptop has Glasswire, but the notebook doesn't, so Glaswire from the desktop and laptop still probably wouldn't be of much help.  

Here's the Netgear page.  All three computers utilize the Netgear router.  My phone does, too, though I haven't used it today.  I made sure to refresh it before taking the snapshot so that it was current at the time the clock shows.  

Screenshot (1).png 

GabeU

@Amanda

Would it make it easier, for comparative purposes, if I took a snapshot at the top of the hour, like right at 12:00PM?  I don't know what you're able to see on your end, but if it's by the hour I thought that it might help to do so.  I can also make sure that I don't do anything within a couple of minutes of that time so that there is no lag to throw it off.  

Edit:  I went ahead and did so.  I made sure to do nothing, other than bring up the router page and take a snapshot, between 11:55AM and 12:05PM.  I brought up the router page at about 11:58AM and refreshed it at about 15 seconds past noon, then took the snapshot.  

Screenshot (2).png

Welp...Today is basically spot on. This is what I see: 

I think the best route at this point is to use an hour by hour comparison. I don't use the traffic meter on my R7000 so I'm not sure how it works, can you extract hourly logs of it, maybe hourly data from Glasswire?