cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 since late March.....

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Gen5 since late March.....

I'm saying the reason why they included the video optimizer in the first place was to save data, but I'm pretty sure it was also to discourge users from automatically streaming anything above 360p.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Around 8:30PM...

dgwnsbAoC.png

Just now... 

eouiXGxS9.png

To be honest, I'm still boggled as to why I can watch Youtube videos in 1080p when I have speeds like the first pic, and even lower.  The VDS has to be off, of course, but it still works without issue.  At the same time, I know others with speeds of 1Mbps or 2Mbps have buffering all over the place with 480p Youtube vids.  Maybe it's that my beam is still lightly loaded, even though my overall speed is low.  

Edit:  I should add that the latter speed is highly unusual for me at this time of night.  Normally it's like the first, or even worse.  Maybe it's that it's Friday night and everyone is out.  Well, everyone who isn't freezing right now.  Smiley Sad     It's -1 degrees here, presently.  May hit -10 tonight.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My result on AT&T hotspot:

C5gNsGJPy

GabeU

@BirdDog

I finally took the plunge and ordered a smart phone.  Well, a faux smart phone, as it's still tracfone, but it's Android based and supposedly 4G LTE, so when I get and transfer my info from the old phone I'll be curious to see what kind of speed I get on it.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@BirdDog wrote:

Also awake before 8 AM most mornings so download lots then during Bonus time.

I'm generally up 5-6 or so. Morning Bonus time 'heavy lifting' for me is:
1. Update iphone/ipad apps, which now have be done per device (thanks, Apple).

2. Check for Apple Store updates.

3. Check for other application updates in MacUpdate.

4. Check for podcasts in iTunes.

5. Check for Homebrew updates (Linux-like things built for macOS).

6. Update Office mid-way, second week of the month.

7. Check if there's anything interesting on Usenet (yeah, still).

8. Check for Fedora and Parallels VM Updates.

It's amazing how much data all these things eat, but it's all done in about 15-30' because of the good morning speeds; and I too never run out of Bonus, or Anytime for that matter. Usually it's the iOS apps that kill you because there can be between 7-10 to update on average per day. Some update weekly, which is absolutely ridiculous.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Upload test on hot spot:

dlNWmGo05

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

452k for me tonight. Beam 55.

TJ
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog

I finally took the plunge and ordered a smart phone.  Well, a faux smart phone, as it's still tracfone, but it's Android based and supposedly 4G LTE, so when I get and transfer my info from the old phone I'll be curious to see what kind of speed I get on it.  

I have a Huawei Ascend XT 1611 and love it. Huge screen, fast and cheap. I love Android myself, rooted and deleted bloatware.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Just now:

Speed Test Result

Speed Test Result

GabeU

Just now....

3RZumdf9o.zSujcBIYf.png