HughesNet Community

Horrible Upload Speed, Week 3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisVZ
Sophomore

Horrible Upload Speed, Week 3

Not looking for tech support, just an informational post.

I've seen tons of posts lately about poor performance of the network.  You are not alone.  For 3 weeks now I have also been having issues.  It started with a complete outage of service with an error stating that there was no upload link.  When service was restored, I was getting latency that spiked into the 7+ second range, and numerous speed tests from 3rd party sites showed that I was getting an upload speed of 0.1mbps.  Finally got around to running Hughes' test today and while the numbers were better, still far from where they should be.

Test #1 - 29.782 Down, 0.291 Up

Test #2 - 29.706 Down, 0.379 Up

Test #3 - 30.019 Down, 0.47s Up

Download speeds were well above the package I have, but uploads would start fine then hang at 60-80% (on a 1MB file). I believe these hang-ups are responsible for my extremely high latency, and most likely others as well. 

21 REPLIES 21
kurtis42501
New Poster

Hughes Net in general is terrible. I am so glad my 2 years are up and there are finally other services. I have never been able to watch any thing in HD. It keeps stopping and loading. I called to cancel my services, they told me that I had to retrive my radio transmitter from my roof. My lawyer is going to have fun with this one 🙂 Sorry to tell you the best thing you can do is find another provider, plain and simple.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@kurtis42501 wrote:

Hughes Net in general is terrible. I am so glad my 2 years are up and there are finally other services. I have never been able to watch any thing in HD. It keeps stopping and loading. I called to cancel my services, they told me that I had to retrive my radio transmitter from my roof. My lawyer is going to have fun with this one 🙂 Sorry to tell you the best thing you can do is find another provider, plain and simple.


Did you bother toggling the Video Data Saver? 

 

I'm wondering how much your lawyer will charge for telling you that you are bound to arbitration, which you agreed to.  

 

If you'd like help with your issue you should start a new topic, and I suggest taking a different approach if you do.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I'm wondering how much your lawyer will charge for telling you that you are bound to arbitration, which you agreed to. "

No serious member of the bar would take the case .

 


@GabeU wrote:

@kurtis42501 wrote:

Hughes Net in general is terrible. I am so glad my 2 years are up and there are finally other services. I have never been able to watch any thing in HD. It keeps stopping and loading. I called to cancel my services, they told me that I had to retrive my radio transmitter from my roof. My lawyer is going to have fun with this one 🙂 Sorry to tell you the best thing you can do is find another provider, plain and simple.


Did you bother toggling the Video Data Saver? 

 

I'm wondering how much your lawyer will charge for telling you that you are bound to arbitration, which you agreed to.  

 

If you'd like help with your issue you should start a new topic, and I suggest taking a different approach if you do.  


 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Did you bother toggling the Video Data Saver? "

 

@GabeU, this is neither here nor there, but I personally see no difference when I have toggled the VDS.  Then again, my connection is rather wonky and eccentric.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@maratsade wrote:

"Did you bother toggling the Video Data Saver? "

 

@GabeU, this is neither here nor there, but I personally see no difference when I have toggled the VDS.  Then again, my connection is rather wonky and eccentric.


Yeah, if it's already wonky, it's probably not going to make much of a difference.  LOL.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV


@GabeU wrote:



Yeah, if it's already wonky, it's probably not going to make much of a difference.  LOL.  


Well, that would explain it, then! LOL

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade

 

(From the question in the other thread) - My speeds are still quite good, but not as steady as they used to be.  I'm more affected now during peak usage periods, though not usually too badly.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm back to the way it used to be when they first installed Gen 5.  Noticeable latency and odd speed dips (and not just during the evenings).  And I don't get the high speeds others get (hovering between 17 and 20 Mbps, down to under 10Mbps, sometimes less, at peak times).  Gen 4 was more stable for me -- I imagine Gen 5 will get there.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


@maratsade wrote:

I'm back to the way it used to be when they first installed Gen 5.  Noticeable latency and odd speed dips (and not just during the evenings).  Gen 4 was more stable for me -- I imagine Gen 5 will get there.


It was the complete opposite for me.  When I got Gen5 it was full speed ahead, with absolutely no slowdowns to speak of, no matter the time of day.  I do remember yours having some issues, though, which was very odd.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV


@GabeU wrote:

  I do remember yours having some issues, though, which was very odd.  

 

I'm not happy unless I'm an outlier. 🙂


@kurtis42501 wrote:

 Sorry to tell you the best thing you can do is find another provider, plain and simple.


Luckily I am no longer under contract as well.  Just waiting on my hookup to the new FIOS network in my area.  2 weeks to go.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@ChrisVZ

 

 "Just waiting on my hookup to the new FIOS network in my area.  2 weeks to go"

 

So it begs the question, just why are you posting in the Community in an area clearly marked as "not for support"?

 

Because, as the FIRST sentence in my FIRST post states, I am not looking for support.  I am limping through the last few days until I no longer require Hughes' services. I have no desire to be told that it is the weather, or that I need to pay a technician to re-align my dish. 

Then what's the point of just complaining on a site designed for user support?

Just venting because you can?


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.


@MarkJFine wrote:

Then what's the point of just complaining on a site designed for user support?

Just venting because you can?


Yep.  When my connection is so poor I cannot use it as I wish, I will vent. What better place than where others are experiencing the same issues?


@ChrisVZ wrote:

What better place than where others are experiencing the same issues?

Maybe because it's generally annoying and not helpful to anyone?

It also just makes you look like a kvetch.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.


@MarkJFine wrote:

It also just makes you look like a kvetch.


So does attacking people on the internet....

Sorry you thought I was attacking you. Never mind that we're being assaulted with hollow complaints.

Suggest you look up 'kvetch' if that bothered you.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Kvetch is a great word....Yiddish is so colourful.

petroman1010
New Poster

We have never been able to watch any video over Hughesnet, so why have it?

 

I just talked to technical support and their solution is to change me to Generation 5?  And, of course, this would add to my contract length.  This service has never worked but it sounds like Hughesnet is desperate to get us to lengthen our contract, but, why would I when this has never worked.  Fool me the first time, bad on Hughesnet, but bad on me if I fall for an extension on my contract. We can't even watch 3 minute video clips!!!  Like others are saying, I need another provider?

 

What else is out there for internet providers for rural america?

Thanks!