Hughesnet SW Buggy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgallenjr
Freshman

Hughesnet SW Buggy

Has anyone noticed massive bandwidth drains? Anywhere from 10 to 22 percent in a single day. I had power OFF to my modem and computers for a full 4 days and still lost bandwidth. So it looks like the monitoring SW can't handle Zero use and deducts bandwidth not used. 

11 REPLIES 11
rgallenjr
Freshman

To be clear I'm not saying it was intentional. But after 40 years as an Advisory Systems Analyst something is hokey with the calculations. And my 4 day power-off really indicates flacky calculations.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If you'd like to address the issue, you should post in the Tech Support section.  A modem isolation test will need to be run, or at least some form of it.  That way they can verify the screen shots to the power off and power on to show that you have lost data.  

For myself, I power my modem off every evening and I've never experienced any data loss.  Have done so since getting HughesNet in Dec 2004.   

I have the dates the circuit breaker was off and the HughesNet usage chart show bandwiidth dropping each and every day with the power off. That's a sufficient test. I have had Dish and Wildblue prior and never had a bandwidth drain like this 10-22% in a day for email and downloading bank statements. I power off whenever I'm not using.

Sounds like there's a technical problem that needs to be brought up in the TECHNICAL SUPPORT group.

You won't get any help here, as this is GENERAL DISCUSSION - NOT FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT - clearly stated.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Original post was asking if ANYONE was having the same problem, wasn't asking for Technical Support..

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The system wont, and can't show data usage for days the modem is turned off.  Have tested this theory countless times, when its off for an entire time period, then the data counters on the website totally stop till the modem is powered up, it wont reflect any usage.

@rgallenjr wrote:

Original post was asking if ANYONE was having the same problem, wasn't asking for Technical Support..

Subject: Technical issue, albeit incorrect assumption.

Post: Description of technical problem followed by more technical assumptions and snarky responses directed indiscriminantly at no particular person, "sport".

Gee, what could possibly give anyone the idea it wasn't intended as a discussion requiring technical support? 🤔

Not to mention creating yet *another* post declaiming similar incorrect technical assumptions.

Seeing a trend here...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Oh Boy!

The software is not "buggy". What does seem to have a bug is your understanding of the way usage is tabulated.

Considering that the Hughes modem caches data used and then reports that data during sync cycles how do you you expect to have accurate data displays when you power off the modem?

Read my replies on page 7 of this topic:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Rapid-data-drain-during-second-half-of-data-cycle/td...

You need reading comprehension before you insult strangers sport.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@rgallenjr wrote:

I have the dates the circuit breaker was off and the HughesNet usage chart show bandwiidth dropping each and every day with the power off. That's a sufficient test. I have had Dish and Wildblue prior and never had a bandwidth drain like this 10-22% in a day for email and downloading bank statements. I power off whenever I'm not using.

I though the alleged data loss was while the power was off.  

The HughesNet usage chart shows bandwidth use each of the 4 days the power was off.