Hughesnet Community

It's bad enough that I get the scam phone calls, but now emails, too...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's bad enough that I get the scam phone calls, but now emails, too...

Over the last few months I've had two instances of a few days each where some scammer group calls about every hour saying there is a problem with my Apple iCloud account (I don't have one, of course).  And, of course, the spoofed numbers are real Apple Store numbers.  Now it's emails, too.  SMH.   They sure don't give up, do they?  

Capture.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade

"there is a problem with my Apple iCloud account (I don't have one, of course)."

Well, there's the problem, right there! Get one ASAP!

Spammers should be taken out back and shot.

GabeU

@maratsadewrote:

"there is a problem with my Apple iCloud account (I don't have one, of course)."

Well, there's the problem, right there! Get one ASAP!

Ah.  That's the problem.  I shall do so immediately!  😛  

maratsade

You're welcome.  LOL

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsadewrote:

I don't use shooting people in jest anymore. Guess I'm a wuss and anti-gun even though I have at least 3.

GabeU

@BirdDogwrote: 
Guess I'm a wuss and anti-gun even though I have at least 3.

No doubt.  When I say that I support intelligent firearm regulation, like universal background checks, so many assume I'm anti gun.  They can't fathom that one who supports such things, nor one who's liberal, could actually own firearms.  It boggles their little minds.  They can only fathom one extreme or the other.    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeUwrote:

@BirdDogwrote: 
Guess I'm a wuss and anti-gun even though I have at least 3.

No doubt.  When I say that I support intelligent firearm regulation, like universal background checks, so many assume I'm anti gun.  They can't fathom that one who supports such things, nor one who's liberal, could actually own firearms.  It boggles their little minds.  They can only fathom one extreme or the other.    

I'm a raging old liberal, funny used to be a raging young conservative, but would not hesitate to shoot anyone dead who invaded my home. I don't take it lightly though and don't have the old west attitude where everyone should be armed. Many folks these days should not even be allowed to drive let alone own a weapon.

My old geezer attitude is showing.

GabeU

@BirdDogwrote:

Many folks these days should not even be allowed to drive let alone own a weapon.

I couldn't agree more.  

maratsade

It's a Brit humour thing.  I need to remember it's different here.  

@BirdDogwrote:

I don't use shooting people in jest anymore. Guess I'm a wuss and anti-gun even though I have at least 3.

MarkJFine
Professor

It's an offshoot of the people who know (over the phone, no less) that you have a virus and only they can fix your registry.

Same class of people threatening they're with the IRS.

In fact, I think they all use the same CallerID spoofing software, the latest of which is now picking numbers from a database with your area code and local exchange.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFinewrote:

It's an offshoot of the people who know (over the phone, no less) that you have a virus and only they can fix your registry.

Same class of people threatening they're with the IRS.

In fact, I think they all use the same CallerID spoofing software, the latest of which is now picking numbers from a database with your area code and local exchange.

I remember the first time I ever got one of these calls, with the person telling me that I had a virus on my network, I asked him to tell me what my ISP was.  He kept saying, "No, sir, the virus is on your network."  😛  I then asked him some, well.... colorful questions.  He hung up.  

One time I actually played along and had them on the phone for about ten minutes.  I was acting like I had absolutely no clue about computers and that he had to walk me through every single little step.   Either he caught on or got tired of it, as he hung up.  LOL.  

Though I find the type I describe in this post comical, I do feel bad for those that are taken in by any of these scams, which, of course, is mostly elderly people.   You've got to be a real scumbag to take advantage of anyone, but especially the elderly (those "Grandma, it's me.  I'm in trouble!" phone calls).  A real scumbag.  

Regarding the recent "Apple iCloud" calls, they've been spoofing real Apple Store phone numbers across the country, so even if you try to call back to mess with them, you get real stores.  They're getting slicker and slicker, and the scuzbuckets know that a lot of people don't keep updated on scams, nor do they immediately know a scammer when they hear them, like we do.  It's really sad, and unfortunate.  I always keep my folks abreast of current scams.