cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Or Satellite Shortcomings?

Professor

Re: Additional info about latency

Please run traceroutes to several sites and post the screenshots of the results. 

New Poster

I appreciate the your post. It further shows that distance is not an issue with latency. Not at these insignificant amounts relative to the speed of light.
You stated that it is roughly 186,282 mi/s. I must say you are right on with it being exactly 186282.397051 mi/s.
Would you have any thoughts on my latency problem. I think that maybe I didn't emphasize that my latency is out of range for what is expected with satellite service. I cannot even get on Facebook 75% of the time on average. It will tell me there is no connection. After several attempts with the Retry link it will finally connect. However most of the time I just resort to my mobile data
It's especially disconcerting when a significant amount of time is spent on a form or typing a large amount of characters in a forum such as this and to lose it all because of a time out and Form Resubmission command. I've learned to to copy said text so I can do a paste if I'm on Hughsnet.
Charles Benjamin Lucas
Assistant Professor

@Cblucas3 wrote:
You stated that it is roughly 186,282 mi/s. I must say you are right on with it being exactly 186282.397051 mi/s.

I'm a radio engineer by trade. These are basics.

@Cblucas3 wrote:
Would you have any thoughts on my latency problem.

As I mentioned in the same post and previously, I can't determine where the latency problem exists without seeing a traceroute to whatever site you're trying to get to. It could be inside the HughesNet gateway, it could be at the gateway's provider (more than likely), it could be anywhere in the route between the provider and the site you're trying to get to.

Nobody can do this for you, and it's as simple as opening up a command window in Windows and typing something like:
  tracert microsoft.com

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

Do I need to connect with Ethernet cable cable and disable the wireless function of the modem?
I would prefer not to but if necessary I'm quite willing.
Lastly, a screenshot? I can type the information more quickly and efficiently. Telephone support did not require this of me during the many months of dealing with my dish alignment.
Charles Benjamin Lucas
New Poster

I'm sorry. I can switch to desktop site on my mobile device in Chrome so as to post the screenshot.
Charles Benjamin Lucas
Assistant Professor

You would have to do it from a desktop because I'm pretty sure your phone doesn't have a command/terminal window.

Secondly, I'm assuming you have a Windows desktop.

Thirdly, if it's a Mac, the command is 'traceroute' instead of 'tracert'.

Lastly, would prefer a screenshot, but not because of potential typing errors. The text spacing in the window will make it hard to read.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

This is not telephone support -- it's a higher tier, and yes, for us to see what you see we need a screenshot. 

Cblucas3 wrote:

Lastly, a screenshot? I can type the information more quickly and efficiently. Telephone support did not require this of me during the many months of dealing with my dish alignment.

New Poster

I'm going to request this thread to end. I don't know what you mean by text spacing and being hard to read. What we are doing here is text.
Also my desktop has a wireless card and is a considerable distance from the router. I do not have a a Ethernet cable that far. So it is far to much trouble to move my desktop just to show that your implication of me typing in false information is indeed, false.
In fact to shorten this process of troubleshooting my issue I'm going straight to Executive Care.
Charles Benjamin Lucas
New Poster

I dealt with Tier 4 I believe it was titled. Maybe Tier 2. Also Executive Care. None asked for a screenshot to be emailed.
The only reason you folks are asking for it is because you believe I'm lying. Otherwise I could type the results instead of dragging the desktop to the other side of the house. It's wireless and wired capable of course.
Charles Benjamin Lucas
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Cblucas3 wrote:
I'm going to request this thread to end. I don't know what you mean by text spacing and being hard to read. What we are doing here is text.

Pasting copied traceroute output from the Command prompt doesn't come across well. It loses its layout, making it difficult to read.  This is why Mark recommended a picture.  

If you don't have an ethernet cable do it via WiFi, but be aware that, if your WiFi connection is weak, it can cause the results to be highly inaccurate.

And no one is saying you're lying.  We're saying your belief is very likely mistaken.  BIG difference.

You're making this more difficult than it needs to be.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit