Hughesnet Community

New tab vs backbutton

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tab vs backbutton

I almost always use multiple tabs when browsing, that way I can continue looking at a site while waiting for the links I've chosen to load in their own tabs. As opposed to opening the new link in the same tab, and then hitting the back button to return to the original site.

This seems to be a more efficient way to do things to me, but then I thought, how does this effect my data usage?

So I came up with the following test using Linux Mint 18.3, Firefox 61.0.1, and Linux iftop ( A linux utility that keeps a total of the data flowing through an etherenet port ).

I purposefully picked a site that takes a moderate amount of data ( around 2 meg ) to load its home page, loaded the site, reset iftop, and then opened every link ( 5 total ) in a new tab. Waited for all the tabs to finish loading. and then recorded the total traffic from iftop.

I then shut down and restarted Firefox to clear any cache data, reloaded the same site, reset iftop, and then used the back button method on the same links.

The results:

New tab          9.68 meg

Back button    27.8 meg

I alway suspected the new tab method would save data, but was somewhat surprised by the amount of the difference. I thought that most of the original page would have been stored in the cache, and it wouldn't have to reload that much from the internet every time I hit the back button.

Of course, this is just a single test on a single site, and it may prove exactly nothing, but I think I'll stick to the new tab method.

"An elephant: A mouse built to government specifications."

Lazarus Long

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I use Chrome and have the "New Tab, New Window" extension installed, so all new tabs open in new Windows instead.  For me it's easier that way.  I got used to new Windows for everything with IE, so I kept it that way with Chrome.  I also use "New Tab Redirect" so all newly opened windows start on Google (my chosen start page).  

I don't know about data, but I do know that it takes more processing power and memory to have an extra window open vs an extra tab, but I have a decent processor and enough memory in this that it doesn't affect me.  With my Acer Aspire V5 notebook, that would be a different story.   That thing can barely handle and open window and a mouse move at the same time.  🙂  

maratsade

Since this is not a request for tech support, I wonder if the mods could move this to General Discussion...

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Since this is not a request for tech support, I wonder if the mods could move this to General Discussion...

Thanks, was going to say something but will let you be called the nitpicker instead. Smiley Wink

maratsade

I'm going to embrace the title. LOL

@BirdDog wrote:

Thanks, was going to say something but will let you be called the nitpicker instead. Smiley Wink

GabeU

Well, Tech Support is also for "tips and tricks", and this is a tip about a way to help reduce data usage.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

Well, Tech Support is also for "tips and tricks", and this is a tip about a way to help reduce data usage.  

giphy.gif

I was going to suggest Third party products but you're correct also I suppose. Smiley Tongue

GabeU

ROFLMAO!!!

That made my day!  🙂 🙂 🙂  

After a crummy morning, I needed that.  🙂

@maratsade wrote:

I thought about that before posting.  Like gabeu said, it is a tip for saving data usage.  I'll admit a rather lame one.

I expected to get at least one reply that said:  "We already knew all that, you dummy!"

"Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and coordinate. This does not insure “good” government; it simply insures that it will work. But such governments are rare--most people want to run things but want no part of the blame. This used to be called the “backseat-driver syndrome.”"

Lazarus Long