OneWeb off the ground

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OneWeb off the ground

The first LEO satellites are off the ground. Time will tell how quickly service is available to the masses, looks like they're shooting at 2021 for full deployment.

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Interesting.  I hope they live up to the hype. 

@BirdDog wrote:

The first LEO satellites are off the ground. Time will tell how quickly service is available to the masses, looks like they're shooting at 2021 for full deployment.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Curious what orbit altitude was finally agreed to. There was some back and forth on it as they want decay and burn up to happen fairly quickly when they are no longer in use.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pretty cool vid of them deploying from the booster tree.

https://youtu.be/VgUbH02rju8

Since its creation in 1980 as the world's first commercial space transportation company, Arianespace has led the launch services industry with many operational firsts and numerous record-setting missions.
maratsade

Agreed, very cool.   Fly, LEOs, fly! Be free!

GabeU

I saw a snippet about this last night on CNN.  To be honest, it surprises me.  With all of the back and forth and subsequent delays, I figured it would be at least another year before one of these LEO companies would actually start to get some birds in the air.  Well, other than test units, that is.