Slow speeds during peak hours

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supafly94
Freshman

Slow speeds during peak hours

So I have been seeing a lot of commercials for hughes net lately.  2 thoughts on these.  1, its a shame they are lying. 2, apparently my internet is ridicuously slow because I use it during peak hours. If they keep signing up new customers isn't my internet going to keep getting even slower?

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Wow. You may want to read about how satellite internet works.
GabeU

@supafly94 wrote:

apparently my internet is ridicuously slow because I use it during peak hours.

It's too bad that both times people have tried to help you to see if there is a problem you've stopped replying, with the last thread waiting for a reply for twenty days before it was locked.  

"The speed of the tests look like they should be enough to stream, but looking at the individual test variance graphs show what appears to be congestion."

"As Gabe mentioned, to get a better understanding of where your speeds are averaging during non-peak hours, different test at different times of the day can help us determine if it's due to congestion or another underlying cause."

Are these answers not telling me I have slow speeds because of congestion during peak hours!?

Please explain to me how this works then!

maratsade

What they are telling you is what you need to do so they can figure out if it's congestion OR something else.

"Are these answers not telling me I have slow speeds because of congestion during peak hours!?"

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@supafly94 wrote:

Are these answers not telling me I have slow speeds because of congestion during peak hours!?

Kinda simple really, this is congestion. Imagine the cars are bytes and you're one of them, everyone is slowed down. Only so much can flow through something with limited capacity.

Congestion.jpg

GabeU

@supafly94 wrote:

"The speed of the tests look like they should be enough to stream, but looking at the individual test variance graphs show what appears to be congestion."

"As Gabe mentioned, to get a better understanding of where your speeds are averaging during non-peak hours, different test at different times of the day can help us determine if it's due to congestion or another underlying cause."

Call me crazy, but I, personally, would think that statements like "appears to be congestion" and "As Gabe mentioned, to get a better understanding of where your speeds are averaging during non-peak hours, different test at different times of the day can help us determine if it's due to congestion or another underlying cause" suggest that the cause of the issue isn't known for sure and that further troubleshooting, as indicated, is needed. 

If the person experiencing the issue keeps dropping out of the troubleshooting process it makes it rather difficult to give a definitive answer as to the cause.  

That's how it works.   

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi ,
We really would be happy to help! There are a lot of ways you can improve the quality of your Hughesnet experience, but first we have to know what's going awry.

There is a bit of work at your end, starting with communication. If you don't reply or just give up, a moderator will close the thread and then we have to start all over again the next time.

Second, there will be series of tests you will need to perform, following the instructions to the letter. Yes, this can be a pain in the backside, but really it's not all that bad. Besides, a little inconvenience now surely would be worth it to resolve your speed issues, right?

And that's it! Just keep communicating with us and follow directions on testing. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.

Frankly, I doubt it's simply a matter of congestion since you seem to imply that it happens consistently, all day every day. It may be a partial explanation. But let's find out! In any event, we can get you answers, if you're willing to engage with us.

EDIT: If you do want help, please open a new thread in tech support. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Debbie

I think we have got off topic here.  From what I understand from reading here the internet service during peak hours is slower because everyone is using it.  I accept this.  Back to my original question if hughes.net gets more customers wont that cause more congestion and slower speeds?

maratsade

It would, in time,  but they manage the network as much as they can to prevent it, up to and including higher capacity satellites, as the technology advances and permits it. 

Back to my original question if hughes.net gets more customers wont that cause more congestion and slower speeds?

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@maratsade wrote:

It would, in time,  but they manage the network as much as they can to prevent it, up to and including higher capacity satellites, as the technology advances and permits it.

Just to back that statement up, I've noticed this even on SDO68, where the number of routable gateway servers appeared to have increased not too long ago. Basically, what that does is reduce the addressable log jam at a particular gateway, provided the bandwidth going to the internet has also increased.

That's why rebooting the modem is the next best way to 'manually' re-associate it with a gateway and find an under-utilized server when it seems bogged down.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.