Super Bowl date later and later

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Super Bowl date later and later

I won't watch it anyway, yea I'm un-American, but can't help but notice how the play date keeps getting pushed further and further into the new year. When I was younger and actually interested in such things it was played around the middle of January. In another 50 years it may be played a week before the new season starts...lol.

I actually remember the first one back in '67, it was a really a big deal. Of course not as big as the media machine churns things up these days.

Like everything, I'm sure it has to do with profit and building the hype.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions

7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

League expansion, bye weeks, and extra playoff games pushed it into February. It annoys me more is that there's more hype surrounding the game than the game itself. Then you sit though more flags, reviews, commercials and other distractions more than actual game time.

On the plus side, it gives me a reason to make chili every year.

My earliest SB memory:

IMG_0207.JPG

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
MarkJFine
Professor

League expansion, bye weeks, and extra playoff games pushed it into February. It annoys me more is that there's more hype surrounding the game than the game itself. Then you sit though more flags, reviews, commercials and other distractions more than actual game time.

On the plus side, it gives me a reason to make chili every year.

My earliest SB memory:

IMG_0207.JPG

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

I won't watch it anyway, yea I'm un-American, but can't help but notice how the play date keeps getting pushed further and further into the new year.

How dare you!!!!  LMAO!!!  😛

I don't really watch it, either.  It's become ridiculous. 

Plus, when your team is the only team to be in four Super Bowls in a row and lose each one, it kind of makes it a souring experience.  😞  

maratsade

Your post has been forwarded to the appropriate committee of the NFL.

"I won't watch it anyway, yea I'm un-American"

Shame... this was a classic nailbiter.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Nerd that I am spent the evening watching episodes of The Expanse.

I'm sure the "nailbiter" will be discussed and video replayed ad nauseam for at least the next few days on all media sites and channels. Doubt I'll miss what happened.

GabeU

I didn't watch it, either, though I'm glad the Eagles won.