Decent Speeds...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Decent Speeds...

I know that it's late at night, but it's been quite some time since I've seen speeds like this, even at this time of night.  And I have no illusions that it's going to last, but it's still nice to see it once in a while.  

And, while I know that Hughes and TMN have issues with each other right now, so the results can't be relied on to be accurate, it's the first time in over a month that I've had a speed of at least 40Mbps on TMN, no matter the time of day.  

Edit:  Re-edit:  I edited the wrong post.  LOL.   

TMN.JPG

Speedtest.JPG

Hughes Speed.JPG

Further, so far, at least for me, Speedtest seems to be the most accurate when it comes to the download test, and TMN seems to be the most accurate for upload tests.  And I know that Speedtest sometimes doesn't want to run, but I've found that waiting for at least twenty or so seconds after going to their page helps when running the test.  It also helps to pick a server that's close to your gateway.  This eliminates the test having to search for a server each time you run it.  Luckily, there is a server right in my gateway "city" of Roseburg, OR.  

52 REPLIES 52
MarkJFine
Professor

Also been having issues with Speedtest not running under high latency.

Considering getting the desktop app instead of using the website to see if that makes any difference.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

Every time I try to test my speeds directly from the speedtest.net website I get an error message pop up and suggestion to download the 'desktop' version from the Microsoft Store.

I went ahead and did this yesterday...

Quite frankly, I think it was a waste of good data downloading this application as it is extremely inaccurate.

Supposedly I'm getting 20+ Mbps UPLOAD speeds, hahaha

and knowing that my actual peeds are ranging from 1-3 Mbps these days, seeing the download test result show up at 16+ Mbps, it was then that I uninstalled it.

hn.png

So far, out of all of the different speed test websites I've used these past few weeks, surprisingly, HughesNet's own speed test (located in the Support Section is the one proving to be the most accurate and the results coincide with what I'm actually experiencing first hand.

maratsade

@bare65, ditto.  I don't care for the Speedtest app very much.  I was getting uploads of 12 Mbps -- yeah, right.

@maratsade@bare65

Found the same with the desktop app. I actually had a speedtest account at one time. Tried using it, but it told me I don't have one. Tried creating a new one and it told me there was an error. Pfft. Not playing this game with them.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@bare65

That speedtest app is comical, to say the least.  It said I had an upload speed of 18Mbps.  😛 

maratsade

Speedtest online gives me an error every time.  I downloaded the desktop app but I'm not sure yet if I can trust it.  I tried Networx's speed test, but it only worked for one day -- now it just spins and then stops.   

@MarkJFine wrote:

Also been having issues with Speedtest not running under high latency.

Considering getting the desktop app instead of using the website to see if that makes any difference.

maratsade

I've been getting better speeds too.

speeds.PNG

My speeds, in the wee hours of the morning (after 2am) up until 7am (ish) range from 19-27 Mbps..

(which would be awesome if I were awake during those hours, lol)

not sure why it is I'm even awake right now and about to go back to bed here shortly..

unfortunately, my speeds then plummet down to 1-3 Mbps for the rest of the time. Smiley Sad

These days I just pretend that I'm still pointed to the Spaceway 3 Satellite haha..it's all good.

maratsade

@bare65, Well, that stinks.  I haven't been around to test speeds in the evening, so I'm not sure if they hold up, but I will pretend they do until Testmy disproves me.

I think you may be awake because you're hoping to catch high speeds sneaking into your system. They're around, you know.  ETA: why ARE you awake? Go to bed!

ETA: In the wheee!  hours I get slightly slower speeds these days. Go figure.

Here's hoping everyone's systems will improve.

Not to humblebrag, but at o-dark-30 this morning, here's what I got:

Hughes (605ms Avg):Hughes.jpegTestMy (600.5ms Avg):TestMy.jpegSpeedtest:Speedtest.jpeg

@MarkJFine

LOL @ humblebrag..? Smiley TongueSmiley Tongue

@maratsade

I'm past the point of no return...after the 5th cup of coffee, going back to bed is not an option now.

Untitled.png

maratsade

May I suggest a Valium smoothie, @bare65?  You're looking a bit peaky, a tad rough around the edges.  Smiley LOL

rofl-smiley.png

GabeU

At 9PM?  Are you kidding me?  

I really hope this is a sign, but I'm not betting on it.  At least TMN isn't choking tonight like it normally does.  Maybe they're trying to fix whatever is going on that's been causing its problems.  Again, though, I'm not betting on it.  

Speedtest.JPG 

TMN.JPG

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@MarkJFine

No humblebragging on my end...

hn10.png

@maratsade

When are you making your next batch of Valium Smoothies?

I have a feeling I'll be awake in the weeeee hours again getting some of my work done.

@GabeU

Based on the way my internet is running tonight, I have no doubts that testmy.net results, at least today, are fairly accurate...

no streaming or downloading files for me today...will wait until around 4am for my speeds to improve so I can finish up my work.

on a better note..my UPLOAD speeds are FANTASTIC!!

A steady 2-3 Mbps,  day or night.

laughing-emoji.jpeg

maratsade

At least in the daytime, speeds continue to be very decent here.

Zoom zoom!Zoom zoom!

Valium smoothies for @bare65, in 3 flavours:

Strawberry, pineapple, and spinach

Was incredibly good all day. Maybe some grouse that was eating all the bandwidth turned tail and left the building.

hn6.pnghn7.png

enough said...*sigh*

@maratsade

thank you for the smoothies..

extra Valium right?

maratsade

"

thank you for the smoothies..

extra Valium right?"

@bare65, for you, 2 scoops!