cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Use of Cloud-based applications

Liz,

Might want to add to limit the use of cloud-based services and applications, such as Google Docs, Sheets, etc.

Those things run up data like nobody's business. Kinda like the spin in your electric meter when you turn on 5 space heaters.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
5 REPLIES 5
Liz

Hi Mark!

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea. Do you mean to add to the COVID-19 announcement? If so, I'll have to run this by our top communications folks, they're the ones giving us the official statements to post.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea. Do you mean to add to the COVID-19 announcement? If so, I'll have to run this by our top communications folks, they're the ones giving us the official statements to post.

Yes. I've seen it before for things I do for the web site. My wife is using Google Classroom for tele-teaching.

My point being, that technically it's constantly refreshing back to the cloud, so it's easy to think that since you're not doing anything you're not burning data - but you are... lots.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Many of us need those cloud based applications (EDIT: and use them for work, not for fun). I'd suggest limiting the use of streaming services.  EDIT 2: I do know what you mean, though. Perhaps both suggestions could be placed in the document. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Liz 

I'd suggest removing the ability to turn off or pause the Video Data Saver.  That could prevent a lot of unecessary traffic.  A resolution of 480p is plenty.  

Hi Gabe, 

Interesting suggestion! Thank you! I'll pass this up to management.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!