Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Cloud-based applications

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Use of Cloud-based applications

Liz,

Might want to add to limit the use of cloud-based services and applications, such as Google Docs, Sheets, etc.

Those things run up data like nobody's business. Kinda like the spin in your electric meter when you turn on 5 space heaters.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Use of Cloud-based applications

Hi Mark!

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea. Do you mean to add to the COVID-19 announcement? If so, I'll have to run this by our top communications folks, they're the ones giving us the official statements to post.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Many of us need those cloud based applications (EDIT: and use them for work, not for fun). I'd suggest limiting the use of streaming services.  EDIT 2: I do know what you mean, though. Perhaps both suggestions could be placed in the document. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@Liz wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea. Do you mean to add to the COVID-19 announcement? If so, I'll have to run this by our top communications folks, they're the ones giving us the official statements to post.

Yes. I've seen it before for things I do for the web site. My wife is using Google Classroom for tele-teaching.

My point being, that technically it's constantly refreshing back to the cloud, so it's easy to think that since you're not doing anything you're not burning data - but you are... lots.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Liz 

I'd suggest removing the ability to turn off or pause the Video Data Saver.  That could prevent a lot of unecessary traffic.  A resolution of 480p is plenty.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Hi Gabe, 

Interesting suggestion! Thank you! I'll pass this up to management.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.