Want to cry over HughesNet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thewarehouse
Sophomore

Want to cry over HughesNet

My bill is $150 this coming month. There's only two of us. Most of the time we have very slow speeds and can't watch Netflix or Amazon Prime shows. Just one or two an evening is all we are hoping for. Got a "not enough bandwidth" message last night. Nothing was connected to the net but the tv. Nothing. 

I teach online 2 days a week and the last two sessions were horrible. There is nothing connected to the internet except for my LAN for the computer I'm using when I teach and yet the connection is terrible. 

HughesNet was beautiful and all I hoped for (a few glitches were to be expected) the first 20 days and now I just want to cry that we spend so much money on a service that has definitely not lived up to the hype. 

Oh and my usage meter thing that I downloaded to my desktop no longer works. It has some sort of malfunction. (Yes, I already posted that in another area.)

32 REPLIES 32
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@thewarehouse, the section where you have posted your issue is not for Hughesnet support.  You may want to post under myAccount and Billing or under Tech Support. Your post will be more visible there. 

That doesn't really matter (we aren't going to get what we were offered)
HughesNet is showing its true colors...just as bad, or worse than, Windstream. After contract is over, we won't return.
maratsade

Leaving is definitely your choice -- but if you want an answer to your issues, you should post where they will get the most attention. Good luck!

@maratsade while I do appreciate the links, I noticed that this area specifically states its not where to go for support. I was lookng more for emotional support perhaps, not technical. There is nothing wrong with my system or with the HughesNet equipment; it just isn't perfect. I have no other internet options and so I will stay with HN and live with it. I am grateful to have internet at all. These issues make things a little difficult but it is what it is. 

I am hopeful (almost-ever-the-optimist) that HN will improve. It can only get better. 

GabeU

@thewarehouse

Though you are resolved to living with issues, you may not have to.  There are some things that may be able to be done to help.  

One thing you said stuck out to me, though.  You said that during your first twenty days it was "beautiful and all you hoped for," and then the problems.  During your first twenty days of service you are in a relaxed bandwidth period.  This basically means that you have unlimited data, more or less, during this time.  It resets on a regular basis, rather than the data needing to last the entire month like it normally does.  Since it worked well during those twenty days, then not so well afterward, it makes me think that the issues you're experiencing may very well be due to being out of data and being in FAP, which is the reduced speed your service changes to when you run out of data.  

If, in fact, the issues are due to running out of data, there are different things that can be done to save data so that you don't run out, or at least not as quickly if you still do.  Most of it entails settings adjustments and installing an ad blocker, but it might very well be worth your while to ask for some assistance in this so that you're not running out of data so quickly. 

Just a thought.  

@GabeU

I have never used an Ad Blocker.  Do they may these for Mac OS X, iOS devices, and Ubuntu Linux?

I ran out of my 20GB in 9 days... seeming to do the same amount of internet I did when I was on Gen 4.  Seemed back then I would chew up 1GB per day. So I figured 20GB I would get through 2/3 of the month and then limp by in FAP to see how the last 10 days goes.

Maybe an AdBlocker will help me too.

TJ

GabeU

@macsociety

You should be able to find some for whatever browsers you use with your OS X and Ubuntu.  The easiest way to do so would be to search on Google.  Like "ad blocker for Safari" or "ad blocker for Ubuntu and Firefox".  Then check the reviews for the ones you find to see which one is best for that particular browser.  I imagine it would be the same for iOS, though I'm not sure. 

@MarkJFine is a mac user, I believe.  He may know of a good one.    

I use Adblock Plus plugins in both Safari and Firefox on my Mac; as well as in Firefox in Fedora 26

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@macsociety wrote:

I have never used an Ad Blocker.  Do they may these for Mac OS X, iOS devices, and Ubuntu Linux?

I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 with Firefox as a browser, and I run a Javascript script blocker, a pop up blocker and an ad blocker.   All Firefox add ons.  You sometimes have to white list a site on the Java script blocker to get it to function.  Some sites will refuse to run because of my ad blocker,  these I usually drop. Some sites will whine about my ad blocker but then run anyway.

Another thing that can save data is to avoid using the back button on your browser.  If you are going to return to a page after going to a link, it saves data to leave the page open, and open the link in a new tab. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@thewarehouse wrote:

@maratsade while I do appreciate the links, I noticed that this area specifically states its not where to go for support. I was lookng more for emotional support perhaps, not technical. There is nothing wrong with my system or with the HughesNet equipment; it just isn't perfect. I have no other internet options and so I will stay with HN and live with it. I am grateful to have internet at all. These issues make things a little difficult but it is what it is. 

I am hopeful (almost-ever-the-optimist) that HN will improve. It can only get better. 

@thewarehouse, May I ask what is perfect in this world? I can do whatever I want with the service but am not a real time gamer.

If looking for perfection in life then you probably will be disappointed with everything. Striving for perfection is good, but truthfully it is not possible for man made things IMO.

jrscheibe
Freshman

I live out in the country and it is real terrible as well!  The commercial where it shows people out in the country using it and watching online movies and such is such false advertising!!  We had Exede before HughesNet and at least with Exede the customer service was A LOT better!!

GabeU

@jrscheibe

It's not false advertising.  Not only can most customers do what is shown in the advertisements, most are satisfied with the service, as well.  

I like the use of the word "most" but not all.  Most live close to a city or what you would call a suburban area not the middle of nowhere.

GabeU

@jrscheibe wrote:

I like the use of the word "most" but not all.  Most live close to a city or what you would call a suburban area not the middle of nowhere.

SMH.  

No, most are likely in rural areas where nothing else that is terrestrial-based is available.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

No, most are likely in rural areas where nothing else that is terrestrial-based is available.

It seems my mistake was thinking the false advertisement claim was regarding performance.  But, no, it was concerning where customers live.  I've seen some odd complaints before, but I think I'm going to save this one in my favorites.  Man Very Happy 

It's raining so I had to refer to my calendar... Waning gibbous... **bleep**. lol

maratsade

There's a bad moon on the rise.

https://youtu.be/zUQiUFZ5RDw

Join the official CCR email list: http://found.ee/CCR_Newsletter Music video by Creedence Clearwater Revival performing Bad Moon Rising. (C) 2012 Concord Music Group, Inc. #CreedenceClearwaterRevival #BadMoonRising #Vevo
maratsade

@jrscheibe wrote:

No company can satisfy everyone, and it's unrealistic to think so. There are always people who have issues, both real issues and issues of ridiculous unrealistic expectations. 

@maratsade wrote:

No company can satisfy everyone, and it's unrealistic to think so. There are always people who have issues, both real issues and issues of ridiculous unrealistic expectations

Just described every Arsenal fan on Twitter ever.