Windows 10 Pro "de-activation"...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Windows 10 Pro "de-activation"...

Did anyone wake up this morning to find that their Windows 10 Pro computer was no longer activated?  

It happened to me late last night.  I tried a slew of different things to get it to reactivate.  When I would run the Activation Troubleshooter it would give me the notice that my computer had Windows 10 Pro installed with a Windows 10 Home license, which made absolutely no sense.  I became a little worried about not being able to prove the legality of anything due to the fact that I no longer have the Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation disks, nor the Product Keys, that I used with this computer.  I started with Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 8, then upgraded to Windows 8.1 online for free, then upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period.  All versions were/are Pro.  Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well.  😞 

I called and finally, after a bunch of intentionally mumbled responses, got through to a live person at Microsoft.  The rep tried to reactivate it using the installation ID I gave him, but he was getting an error message.  He said to call back when tech support was in, as it was about 3:00AM at the time.  Just before ending the call I mentioned that, after one of my attempts to fix the problem, which involved restoring my computer using a saved system image from October, I had gotten two notices of activation server issues when running the Activation Troubleshooter.  The man then mentioned that they were performing maintenance on the activation servers.   

This evening I was going to call and talk to tech support, but I decided to try the troubleshooter one last time, just in case the activation server maintenance had caused the problem.  To my surprise, it worked.  

I checked DSLReports and, as it turns out, I wasn't the only one affected.  So, just out of curiosity, I figured I'd ask if anyone here experienced the issue.  If you did, and still are, try running the Activation Troubleshooter again, as it should now work.  🙂

Edit:  I posted this in General Discussion as I wasn't looking for help.  I was just curious if anyone else had this problem.  

0 REPLIES 0