Winter's last gasp....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Winter's last gasp....

Pics from yesterday morning.  Thirteen hours before this there was no snow on the ground, whatsoever.  We ended up getting about 18 inches, which normally isn't that big of a deal, but with it being this heavy it was awful.  It's already starting to melt, thankfully.  

In picture four you can see my folks' sat dishes on the roof of their garage, with the left one being HughesNet and the right being DirecTV.  And just after I took the pictures a plow came through and buried my mailbox that you can see on the right of the fifth picture.  The power went out shortly after.  

This is some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen.  My folks had a couple of trees come down, and according to my local electric company there are over 1000 crew, including those from other parts of the country, tending to the lines.  That the power came back on here so quickly, relatively speaking, is amazing.  Kudos to the workers.    

And yes, that is the radio of my HughesNet dish on the lower left of picture three.  I just noticed that I caught that in the pic.  😛  

100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

100_0003.jpg

100_0006.jpg

100_0008.jpg

100_0009.jpg

27 REPLIES 27
maratsade

I wonder if it's easier when you know it's coming, or if it is better when it's sudden.  I can never decide.  And no, you don't sound cold.  If you're not close to a person, their death may affect you differently than if you are close. 

I think it really depends on the person and your relationship. I have to be honest, I find myself pretty emotionally detached when it comes to stuff like this. But, I am adopted and was at a somewhat later age, so I am not as emotionally vested in my parents (sounds terrible, but it's true).

Now if it were my husband or one of my kids, I'd be a hot mess. Expected or otherwise.

When my SIL passed last fall, it was more or less expected bit difficult because she was only 52 (and has a surviving identical twin).

My MIL passed a few weeks ago and it was different. Fewer tears. And it struck me how she was lying there deceased, and everybody was just carrying on with their lives around her, but almost like she was an afterthought.

It wasn't in a bad way. It was just striking to me. You live, and then you die. And everyone else carries on.

Lol, now that we've waxed philosophical on Gabe's winter post...

Awww Gabe, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. 😞

Losing a parent/step parent is never easy, even if the relationship isn't that great.

I get along much better with both sets of parents, now that we live several hours away. But they can still be aggravating. Especially when they come and stay with us.

I guess that's kind of the nature of the beast though, lol.
maratsade

He missed the snow and icy winds. LOL

Gabe, what made you decide to come back north after moving south for so long?!

maratsade

"If that's not an incentive to quit smoking, I don't know what is, lol!"

LOL

maratsade

"We found out from talking to the two kids on the bus that their parents forgot to buy one vital thing that people in this area need and always have..a snow shovel.   They were out there, at first light, trying to clear their driveway with a spade. "

That's really hilarious!  (Though I can't laugh much since I've been known to forget essentials myself, as I'm not used to the environment).