Hughesnet Community

Only 85 more days until Windows 10 stops being FREE!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordacious

Only 85 more days until Windows 10 stops being FREE!

Just a little FYI

Today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices, up from 270 million monthly active devices as of March 30.

They also announced today that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (as well as Windows 😎 users with a valid license wouldn't be eligible for the free upgrade starting June 29.

After July 29th 2016, Microsoft says, users will be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119. 

Read more about the new changes here

8 REPLIES 8
Chris11
Alum

Mordacious,

I still have one computer still on windows 7, I think I'll keep just one. Too much nostalgia lol
Mordacious

If I can play with my VIC-20 and C-64 you can have your Windows 7
Ricky
Tutor

I am keeping my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 for now. I will not be upgrading.
Mordacious

And they promised me free upgrades for life if I could get you to upgrade.

Come on.... PWEEESE? with sugar??
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

My folks' laptop is still using 8.1 because they are still on dialup.  I've let them know numerous times that soon they won't be able to upgrade for free, but they still plan on waiting to get satellite internet.  Oh well, their loss. 

I didn't think I would, but it turns out I actually like Windows 10.   

Mordacious

I had 8.1 before I went to 10. Nothing wrong with 8.1 I liked it but I do like 10 better. Problem is the support for 8.1 will end January 9, 2018

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifecycle-windows81-faq

Windows 10 will be a constant upgrade and all for free if they do it now. It will probably take hours but in the long run it will be worth it. If I remember correctly there is a way you can burn it to a disk or thumb drive and install it for them saving lots of time. Right here...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You might also DL the video on YouTube and let them see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVo9Vdpk23g

Would be a shame to let them miss it. after June they will have to buy a Windows 10 machine or pay $119 for the software.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

and end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

That's what I did... burned it to a flash drive to upgrade my three computers. 

They are well aware of what's going to happen when it's no longer available for free.  They just don't want to upgrade to Hughesnet at this point, which would be necessary to use Windows 10.  They will later this year, but they are choosing to wait for financial reasons at this point.   It's not that they couldn't afford it, they just want to wait for now as my stepfather has just had one of his shoulders replaced, is going to have the other replaced in three months, and his comp pay has gone WAY down.  They just don't want any unnecessary increases in bills for the time being.  He's waiting for his SSDI to be approved and come through.  Once that happens, everything will be good to go.  Not only that, but come later this year, he will probably also have disability retirement from the state.