Scammed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RebekahWilson
Freshman

Scammed

I signed up for HughesNet after the sales-person told me 20 GB of internet would be plenty for someone streaming video every day, as well as doing regular web surfing. I fully depended on her to be a competent employee with integrity that wouldn't lie to somoene to just make a sale--what a mistake. I've always had unlimited internet, so I was new to the concept of data caps, so I asked plenty of questions, and it was made clear that 20 GB would be enough. I've done research since then, realizing I probably use closer to 100 GB of internet each month--and I'd be paying ridculous prices if I wanted that much from this company--way more than ANY other service around me. Not only that, but the internet has been slow from day one, which I've contacted support about, who told me my speed is "acceptable." I haven't had speeds this slow since 2005. My house is less than 1000 square feet, so this is in no way a router issue (and the dish is fine), and I use internet at all times of the day, with the same results, so this is not a "high traffic" issue. This is a HughesNet issue. The service is SLOW, causes my streams to completely stop multiple times EVERY use, and I run out of data within a week, or less. The first month, the usage calculator didn't even work! It told me all the way until the last week that I had 99% data left (of my own data) which was, of course, wrong. Suddenly, it updated to 0% and I was furious that I had no way of tracking my usage, as it was LYING to me, the way the company has already--in multiple ways. What's worse--I don't even notice the speed change from my own usage to the "slow data" that is offered after plan allowance is used--it's the same SLOW speed either way..that's how slow my internet is. I was scammed into a contract, and I am continuing to be scammed by this company. I even told the sales-person I did not want to pay the monthly fee for repairs, but it was still included in my bill until I went in and removed it myself. There needs to be a way I can get out of my contract without paying the fee; I was misinformed, and companies should be responsible for the employees they hire and the training they give them to ensure their customers are getting the service they are needing. I would never have chosen this company if GB usage was explained to me properly, as I would have understood this company does not even offer what I need--and the thing closest to it is WAY more expensive than any other company. 

10 REPLIES 10
lindsayfuller

When I first signed up for HughesNet, I knew my data would be limited, but like you - I had no idea how much data streaming actually used. During the first month, I watched ENDLESS hours of streaming shows and aside from the occasional buffering, I barely saw my data fall. I was blown away and thrilled. The next month, I couldn't get anything to stream at all and when I did, my data dropped substantially. My parents have had hughesnet for a long time, so I was expecting slower speeds in general, but it has been SO bad lately. I'll be ended my contract early as soon as it drops to a reasonable amount to do so. It's a waste of money at this point. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lindsayfuller wrote:

When I first signed up for HughesNet, I knew my data would be limited, but like you - I had no idea how much data streaming actually used. During the first month, I watched ENDLESS hours of streaming shows and aside from the occasional buffering, I barely saw my data fall. I was blown away and thrilled. The next month, I couldn't get anything to stream at all and when I did, my data dropped substantially. My parents have had hughesnet for a long time, so I was expecting slower speeds in general, but it has been SO bad lately. I'll be ended my contract early as soon as it drops to a reasonable amount to do so. It's a waste of money at this point. 

As mentioned in my reply to the OP, during the first twenty days of your service your data allotment was constantly reset.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy to allow you to update/upgrade your devices to current without it impacting what would be your normal monthly data allotment, as it can use a LOT of data to do those things.  

If you are NOT out of data and you are experiencing slow speeds, please perform the tests requested of the OP in the above post and, to keep your issue separate, please create a new topic to post your test Results URL.  You can do so by clicking on the "Create a topic" button on the upper right while in the Tech Support section.  

I'm only five months into my 2-year $400.00 penalty contract. I'm extremely unhappy with this service and have wasted countless hours trying to figure out where my data is disappearing to. Now, I'm told I should buy a new router that would allow me to see a breakdown of my usuage. I'm furious. How can you tell what your buy-out cost is?

GabeU

@DebSalonen

Sorry you're having issues.  You should start a new post in the Tech Support section, which you can do by clicking the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the aforementioned section.  

There are ways that you can determine what is chewing through your data, or at least stop it, without needing to by a new router.  

As for what your ETF (Early Termination Fee) would be, for residential customers is $400 for the first 90 days, then $15 less per month thereafter.  Here's the link to subscriber agreement, which details the ETF structure.  http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Again, though, if you start a new topic we can help you to figure out what's chewing through your data, or at least give information on how to stop it if determining exactly what it is isn't possible without the router recommended to you.  

GabeU

@RebekahWilson wrote:

My house is less than 1000 square feet, so this is in no way a router issue (and the dish is fine), and I use internet at all times of the day, with the same results, so this is not a "high traffic" issue.  

If you are using the 5Ghz band for WiFi, it's entirely possible for it to be experiencing interference in a 1000 square foot house.  The 5Ghz band has a very short range in comparison to the 2.4Ghz band.  

@RebekahWilson wrote:

The first month, the usage calculator didn't even work! It told me all the way until the last week that I had 99% data left (of my own data) which was, of course, wrong. Suddenly, it updated to 0% and I was furious that I had no way of tracking my usage, as it was LYING to me, the way the company has already--in multiple ways. 

Your Usage Meter WAS working, and doing exactly what it is supposed to do.  During your first twenty days of service your data allowance resets constantly, and the Usage Meter correctly showed this.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy to allow people to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data allotment, as it can take a lot of data to do this.  The data resets are mentioned in the Welcome email from HughesNet, which, unfortunately, not everyone bothers to read thoroughly, if at all.  

If you are having speed issues, you should create an account at testmy.net and run a batch of three to five download speed tests while signed into that account.  Each test should be spaced at least five minutes apart, and a batch of tests should be run at a few different times of the day, if you are able to.  The tests should be run on a single device connected directly to the Hughesnet modem with a LAN cable (no Wifi), and all other devices that use the service should be turned off so as to not sap bandwidth during the tests.  It's best to also disable the WiFi during the speed tests.  Once some tests have been run, you can post your Results page URL (without running the tests under an account you create at testmy.net this is not possible) so your test results can be viewed.  If you have Gen5 you should use the manual 25MB size download speed test, and for Gen4 use the manual 12MB size download speed test.    

testmy.net...  http://testmy.net/

To disable the WiFi, go to the System Control Center at http://192.168.0.1/ , click on WiFi settings on the left, and enter your Administrative Password (default is the word admin).  From the Home page, uncheck the SSID enable box for the 2.4Ghz radio, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for the other three (2.4 Guest, 5 and 5 Guest).  Each one MUST be done and saved separately or the settings won't keep.  You can then exit and run your tests.  When your tests are finished, you can re-enable the WiFi.   

The following macro contains the instructions for speed testing, much of which was already mentioned above.  

To help the Hughes Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you are using the 5Ghz band for WiFi, it's entirely possible for it to be experiencing interference in a 1000 square foot house.  The 5Ghz band has a very short range in comparison to the 2.4Ghz band.  

Yep. I use the 5 GHz band to keep my devices separated into bands but my laptop is about 5 feet away form the router and modem. Only a single wood/sheetrock wall in between. The 5 GHz dies very quickly with distance.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

To think, next generation modems want to use 60Ghz for 10Gbit wifi... LOL

Does make one wonder if these young engineers/developers even understand RF theory. Could be flat earthers also....lol.

On the positive side, can boost the power and fry a hamburger in 2 seconds.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I love this guy!

60 ghz.JPG

maratsade

@RebekahWilson,

I just want to say that when a person starts off by hurling accusations of lying and scamming, said person creates a very negative vibe that leads to more negativity, and the person also comes across as narrow-minded, judgemental, and a bit hysterical.  You are scammed when you participate in a Ponzi scheme. When you sign up for a legititamte service and it doesn't work the way you expected, you have not been scammed. You have an issue -- this can be an issue with the set-up, or the installation, or anything else in the system including the users.  

It would be so much more productive if you posted a polite, calm, and factual report of the issue or issues you are having.  That would create a better environment for your issue(s) to be worked on and eventually resolved.