Hughesnet Community

Will Gen 5 throttled speeds be faster than current gen 4 speeds?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyler936
Freshman

Will Gen 5 throttled speeds be faster than current gen 4 speeds?

I realize this probably won't be known until the plans officially launch, but just want to know if anyone knows by any chance if we can expect an increase in throttled speeds. I realize I am probably the minority in this situation, but I would much rather have faster throttled speeds even at a cost of speeds when you have yet to use your allowance, even if it was only 0.5 Mbps for example.
8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Speculation and based on what we have seen in press releases so far, probably 1Mbps at a minimum, provided congestion isn't an issue which shouldn't be for a few years at least.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Jezra... Look around a bit, doesn't take a mod to answer that...

†If you exceed your monthly plan data, you will experience reduced data speeds until that start of your next billing period. Reduced speeds may be as low as or lower than 1 Mbps and may cause Web sites to load more slowly or affect the performance of certain activities, such as video streaming or large downloads/uploads. Visit legal.HughesNet.com for network management details.

That is on several order pages for Gen5...

Gen5 Fair Access Policy states the speed can reach as low as 1Mbps or under, there is no hard-line minimum, but seems they will try to get 1Mbps as standard.
http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen5.cfm

It is and in the past stated on legal.hughes.com, which is also a URL provided by sales agents before completing the sales order. 

http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm

http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen5.cfm

I was told by two different customer service reps today that it would never drop below 1Mbps. I made them clarify that many times.

Just called to confirm what throttle speed would be. I spoke with a rep that had no idea whatsoever what he was talking about. I cancelled the upgrade due to customer reps not being knowledgeable about what they are trying to sell.

Tyler936
Freshman

Just updating this for anyone wanting an official answer. I called and ordered my gen 5 today and after they transfered me to someone who knew the answer I was able to learn that approximately half your maximum speed, or 12.5 Mbps, is the max speed you could get once out of data depending on bandwidth availiable. I doubt I'll actually get this speed, but considering how slow gen 4 was, even the approximate 1 Mbps minimum they list is vastly faster.

@Tyler936 wrote:
Just updating this for anyone wanting an official answer. I called and ordered my gen 5 today and after they transfered me to someone who knew the answer I was able to learn that approximately half your maximum speed, or 12.5 Mbps, is the max speed you could get once out of data depending on bandwidth availiable. I doubt I'll actually get this speed, but considering how slow gen 4 was, even the approximate 1 Mbps minimum they list is vastly faster.

After over 30 minutes on the phone with rep, I finally spoke with a supervisor that informed me that throttled speed would be UP TO 3 Mbps. He stated it could drop well below 1 Mbps and actually become unuseable after being throttled.

Seems as if no one really knows the speed, though that answer sounds far more realistic. Hopefully within the coming days we'll see people post results. Hopefully we don't have dropped connections either, I know this is basically our version of Exedes liberty plan, and from what I read they have issues with dropped connections and extremely slow speeds during prime time.