Hughesnet Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lm8542
Sophomore

Hello. I am once again befuddled. 239.0.0.0  is a route in my routing table on the ht2000w router/modem that vanishes after a power outage or reboot. If I reset the device the routing table comes back with the 239.0.0.0 added again. I need to know if I should have this route as it has once again disappeared ? What is this route for? I thought it might have something to do with the wireless bridge...? Thanks for any feedback as I am clueless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The modem has several acceleration techniques that it uses. I wouldn't rule out that path being necessary for one of them to operate through. If it gets added on it's own after a reboot it might be doing so because that's when it's ready/needed to be used. Adding it prematurely could actually be detrimental in the long run.

Just my 0.02.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@lm8542 wrote:

Hello. I am once again befuddled. 239.0.0.0  is a route in my routing table on the ht2000w router/modem that vanishes after a power outage or reboot. If I reset the device the routing table comes back with the 239.0.0.0 added again. I need to know if I should have this route as it has once again disappeared ? What is this route for? I thought it might have something to do with the wireless bridge...? Thanks for any feedback as I am clueless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_address 

I'm still clueless after reading the above link   Maybe you'll do better.  :>)>

If everything is working alright,  I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I know, inquiring minds want to know.  :>)>

I appreciate the input. I can only assume that I am the only person wondering about this. It does seem to work better when the 239.0.0.0 is in the routing table but it disappears whenever we have powe outage. Can only get it back with a manual reset which is annoying because I have to change everything. I have read lots of articles about multicast nothing that’s explaining how or if I need it. It works either way but seems more stable with WiFi when it’s there ...exasperating.

The modem has several acceleration techniques that it uses. I wouldn't rule out that path being necessary for one of them to operate through. If it gets added on it's own after a reboot it might be doing so because that's when it's ready/needed to be used. Adding it prematurely could actually be detrimental in the long run.

Just my 0.02.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yeah it’s got to be there for a reason and that’s a better explanation than I can come up with. I will leave it alone for now. 239.0.0.0 disappeared again so I will just let it stay that way and assess the difference. I appreciate the info and if I figure it out I will let  you guys know. 

Hi folks,

I'm gonna close this thread since it's gone inactive. Please start a new thread if you have any other concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!