Hughesnet Community

4gb upload data every day every month. How can I stop it?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lost1wing
New Poster

4gb upload data every day every month. How can I stop it?

I run out of data in the first week. Hughesnet shows 4gb of data upload every day. No idea what it is.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Lost1wing 

There are different programs/apps that can be used, depending on the device, to determine how much data is being used by that device.  What devices do you have connected to HughesNet?

You can see what devices are currently connected, and what devices were connected, but are no longer, since the last time the HughesNet modem was powered up, here.

Edit:  BTW, an upload like that, and every day, sounds like it may be something related to the cloud.  Do you use the cloud to save your data?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU

@Lost1wing 

There are different programs/apps that can be used, depending on the device, to determine how much data is being used by that device.  What devices do you have connected to HughesNet?

You can see what devices are currently connected, and what devices were connected, but are no longer, since the last time the HughesNet modem was powered up, here.

Edit:  BTW, an upload like that, and every day, sounds like it may be something related to the cloud.  Do you use the cloud to save your data?

I did, but I disabled the device long ago. Spent my tokens, bought $30 more yesterday. Now it is all gone. Nothing else has changed in my household since starting Hughesnet. Never used all of my data with Excede, just the service was slow. Now I basically have no service. I think I know the fix. Hughes net is not very helpful with data loss . Tell me manage it! Nothing is on, so where did it go?

Btw... 2 smart phones both wifis off, one PC turned off . Woke up and data is gone.
GabeU

@Lost1wing 

For the PC, you can use Glasswire.  It will tell you what is using data on the computer it's installed on, and how much data each app/program/process is using.  For Android based smart phones, Glasswire now offers an app for them, too, though I haven't used it, myself.  If it's anything like the PC version, it will be VERY helpful.  For iPhones, the only thing I know of is the built in Activity Monitor, though I'm sure there are apps for them, too.    

Something's got to be using data, but the trick is finding it.  Even if there were a transmission issue, whether with the WiFi or HughesNet itself, and it was causing a higher than normal data usage due to dropped data packets, something would still need to be trying to use the net to cause it to happen.  

I don't think the reps have the ability to see how much data each of your devices is using, but they may be able to tell what particular device seems to be the using the most of it.  Hopefully they'll see this and give that info if they are able.  To be sure, I'll tag a few.  @Liz  @Damian  @Hardy 

Btw... 2 smart phones both wifis off, one PC turned off . Woke up and data is gone.
Lost1wing
New Poster

I must apologize for my rant. I saw 0 data remaining but I guess I bought tokens, that are all still there. Now I need to see what device is the culprit.

Hello Timothy,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I will certainly be glad to help out. After running diagnostics on your account, I can see we will need to get a tech out there to make some adjustments. Please see your private messages for further assistance.

Thanks,

Felicia

GabeU

@Lost1wing 

Though I don't like to speculate, it sounds like there may be an alignment or radio issue (the tech visit being required), which can definitely cause the dropped packet issue mentioned.  That can increase the data usage considerably.   

I hope the site visit goes well.  🙂   

Timothy,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Felicia