Bad service for new customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markobbie
Sophomore

Bad service for new customer

I just had Hughes installed a couple of weeks ago. When I called to ask about the service, the salesman swore that snow doesn't interfere with the signal. He even claimed his parents live near me and never have a problem (we live in an area where it snows heavily for 4-5 months of the year). Today, after two days of heavy snow (during which I had service), I lost the signal. On the phone with customer service, they advised me to wait for it to melt. Or to suspend my service during the winter. Gee, thanks. That will make working from home just peachy. 

They turned me over to advanced tech support, which ran tests to reinstall and reregister my dish. Still no go. Told me to wait for it to melt or brush it off and then call back if it doesn't work. So I got on a ladder and used a long snow rake to gently brush off the snow. The modem now showed it was receiving, but all the web pages I tried to go to said they were private. The satellite had been taken offline by the reinstall they ran. I called and they refused to rerun those processes. They are sending a tech in three days and tried to charge me $30 -- even though I paid extra each month for better service. After the call, I ran the reinstall and reregistration processes myself, and it worked. I would have been offline for three days if I left it to these idiots.

Really, really unimpressed so far, Hughes. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Sure thing, Mark. We can certainly look into requesting a sales call review. If any coaching is needed, it will be applied. Thank you for your feedback!

Please don't hesitate to visit us in the community again if you have any additional concerns.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

When I called to ask about the service, the salesman swore that snow doesn't interfere with the signal.
That's definitely not entirely accurate.  I lose signal sometimes with snow (not always, but it does happen), and with ice. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

No point in running a reinstall process as the modem deregisters it self, and want's to talk to the NOC to re-register...  So zero signal means it won't be talking.

If you live in an area where snow can be heavy, I highly suggest a dish heater to help melt the snow.
GabeU

markobbie,

I live in an area that gets a considerable amount of snow (25 miles south of Buffalo, NY).  Snowing generally won't bother the signal, unless it is a very heavy snowfall.  Snow buildup, OTOH, can and will definitely affect the signal, especially the wet, heavy snow.  I've had times where I've had four inches of fluffy snow on the dish and it still worked just fine, and I've had times where there was just a minimal covering of wet, heavy snow and I would completely lose the signal, as I would with my DirecTV signal, too (different dish, of course).  

If it's fluffy snow, just a light tap on the dish should get it to all fall off,  but the frozen stuff is the worst, especially if it started coming down after it was raining, then got really cold.  Just be careful on that ladder!  

Supposedly Rain-X can help to keep some types of  snow from building up on the dish, but you have to put in on when it's above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.  I've never used it, myself.  
markobbie
Sophomore

I'm in the same snow country (south of Rochester). Thanks for the tips. I never had a problem with my Dish satellite, which is why this was so surprising. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

One thing I want to point out, I have noticed with HT series equipment, it doesn't mind DRY snow much what so ever, but when you get wet heavy or slushy snow, it just goes downhill, fast.   Also, ice, it really screws with the signal...
Liz

Good morning Mark,

Welcome and thank you for posting. Glad to see our community chime in with tips on keeping your dish snow-free. I pulled up your account to credit you for the site visit you no longer need, but I see that we've already issued you that credit. 

Just a reminder, the monthly Express Repair charge ensures you only pay the ~$29 co-pay for a site visit, as opposed to the full $125 fee. 

If you have any other HughesNet concerns, feel free to drop by the community again.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

markobbie
Sophomore

I didn't say I didn't need the site visit. They told me on the phone that they could tell the signal was very weak and that the satellite dish needed to be adjusted. The credit was a response to my complaints that you were charging me for a site visit when you admitted your installer apparently hadn't pointed it correctly. Please have someone let me know now if I am still getting a visit on Friday morning. 
Liz

Indeed you are, the system shows your site visit is still scheduled for Friday Nov 25, 2016 between 8:00 AND 11:00 am.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Liz

markobbie
Sophomore

I'm glad you left the plan for a visit in place. I now see the policy of charging a "co-pay" -- yet another detail my fast-talking salesman neglected to mention when he touted the wonders of paying for an advanced level of service. I still am stunned at the cavalier treatment I received, when I told the rep on the phone that I had removed the snow but it wouldn't connect because of the reinstall process they ran. Luckily, I was able to fix that myself because I had saved the page where the tech had me clicking around while I was on the phone with him. 

When ordinary companies sell you an expensive service, and threaten a very expensive penalty if you cancel within a very long subscription term, they at least stand behind their product and don't charge customers to make the product work properly. 

I'm hoping that after this rocky start, and once I am in the habit of climbing onto a snowy roof and sweeping snow off the dish every time it snows (which, where I live, can be every day for months on end), that this will settle down and I can enjoy the service I paid for. Meantime, as I told the people on the phone yesterday, I hope you care enough about good customer relations that you hunt down my original sales rep and show him you disapprove of lying to make a sale. 
Liz

Sure thing, Mark. We can certainly look into requesting a sales call review. If any coaching is needed, it will be applied. Thank you for your feedback!

Please don't hesitate to visit us in the community again if you have any additional concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Mark,
I live in snowy west Michigan.
I bought a 15 foot collapsible extention pole from my local Lowe's store. I screwed a 7" "acid brush" onto it. No more need for a ladder.
davidk147
Freshman

How do I get someone to troubleshoot my Hughnesnet Internet?  It is going on the 4th day and I cannot get anyone to get my Internet working.  I have had it for 2 months and it does not work at all.  The first level of Service Support is all that I can contact.  The next line of Tech help will not contact me even though I have tried to contact them every day since my service stopped.  

I tried to delete my credit card information but it will not let me delete it or change it unless I put in a good number.  

So, does anyone know how to get these people to service their equipment.  

And one more thing, If it is cloudy or raining, I cannot get any use out of my Hughesnet Internet.   I live in Mississippi, USA and we have more rain than anyone in the Country.  So, I guess that is one detail that they failed to let me know about.  

Keith

davidk147

GabeU

@davidk147

To get help with the internet issue, you should create a new topic in the "Tech Support" section, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in said section.  In that post, make sure to describe the issue, and what, if anything, you have done thus far to attempt to fix it or get it fixed.  

For the Credit Card, you can only replace it with another, or call and request to be put on paper billing.  866-347-3292