Can I connect to HT2000w using WIFI - without connecting to internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newtonf
Junior

Can I connect to HT2000w using WIFI - without connecting to internet

Hello everyone, No complaints and all is going swimmingly, but I do have an interesting, hopefully simple question.

First my system: HT2000W using the wifi for 4 Windows 10 computers, two wireless printers, wifi speakers using Apple airplay and/or Apple Airport Express (itunes), irrigation for small avocado grove, communication from you solar panels and periodic Arduino wifi projects.

What I want to do is have everything connected the HT2000W's wifi, but I want to allow internet access to only two of the computers. Two of the four computers NEVER need to talk to the internet and I don't want them using "accidentally using valuable HughesNet bandwidth, but I want them to have access to all my wireless devices so I can print and I have the ability to transfer files between computers. Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how it can be accomplished?

Thanks for any suggestions you can think of.

Skip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You can easily do this if you assign the computers a static IP, and omit the Gateway address...  Not sure how you would do this on other devices or operating systems, but in Win10/7 you can do the following.

1: Open Control Panel
   A: Win7, that's easy!
   B: Win10, click Start and type Control Panel, then select Control Panel when/if it pops up... Good luck!
2: Open Network and Sharing Center
3: Click "Change Adapter Settings" on the top left
4: Right click on your Network Adapter that you wish to change
5: Select Properties
6: Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

7: Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
8: Click Properties
9: Here's the fun part!  Depending on how you have your HT2000w setup as far as IP/DHCP ranges goes, you will need to enter in a few particular addresses.

In most cases you will be using the followingish, making sure to keep the last octect of the IP address unique between all devices.  Below is an example only.
Capture.PNG
10: Click OK, then close all the annoying windows you just opened.

11: Assign the IPv4 you used as a static mapping in your HT2000w.

Note, doing this change will most likely prevent you from being able to use other networks unless you go back to automatically obtaining an IP address for the network adapter.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The HT2000W router side should act like any other router. You set each device to have just local network access within Windows 10, no Internet access.  All depends on how you setup the devices you don't want to have Internet access.

Might want to post under the Third Party Products topic if wanting further info on setting up your local network under Windows 10. Local networking can get into the weeds in many cases and not a host ISP issue.

Thanks BirdDog. I'll give it a try.

Hello all,

I've tried everything I can think of within Windows 10 to no avail. It seems that the router that is part of the HT2000W is very tightly tied to the HughesNet modem. Accessing the network via wifi automatically connects my laptop computer to the internet and, again, I don't want my "slave" computers connected to the internet, but I want them to have access to my local network.

Skip

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You can easily do this if you assign the computers a static IP, and omit the Gateway address...  Not sure how you would do this on other devices or operating systems, but in Win10/7 you can do the following.

1: Open Control Panel
   A: Win7, that's easy!
   B: Win10, click Start and type Control Panel, then select Control Panel when/if it pops up... Good luck!
2: Open Network and Sharing Center
3: Click "Change Adapter Settings" on the top left
4: Right click on your Network Adapter that you wish to change
5: Select Properties
6: Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

7: Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
8: Click Properties
9: Here's the fun part!  Depending on how you have your HT2000w setup as far as IP/DHCP ranges goes, you will need to enter in a few particular addresses.

In most cases you will be using the followingish, making sure to keep the last octect of the IP address unique between all devices.  Below is an example only.
Capture.PNG
10: Click OK, then close all the annoying windows you just opened.

11: Assign the IPv4 you used as a static mapping in your HT2000w.

Note, doing this change will most likely prevent you from being able to use other networks unless you go back to automatically obtaining an IP address for the network adapter.

Way past cool. Thanks