Cannot Connect To Internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtp1032
Freshman

Cannot Connect To Internet

Today, 25 March, at 2:30 PM (4:30 PM, Eastern time), I powered on the modem. After the normal boot process I was unable to connect to the internet. It showed that the local area network WiFi signal is very strong (~63 db).  but cannot connect to the internet.

Equipment: I have a HughesNet Gen5 modem that has worked flawlessly since purchase 3 years ago.

Error Message: (From the Hughesnet WiFi manager) - Cannot connect to internet.

Location: The system is located at my off grid vacation cabin so I only use it during the spring, summer, and fall. This was the first time I turned the modem on since shutting down the cabin last fall.

Diagnostics:

1. The power light is on
  2. The system light is on
  3. The receive light is off (no blinking)
  4. The transmit light is off (no blinking)
  5. The LAN light is on
  6. The Wi-Fi light is on

I've rebooted the system several times unplugging both the satellite cable from the modem AND the modem power for a minimum of 30 seconds. My first thought was that the satellite was being updated and was offline (hence the date and time info above).

How should I proceed at this point?

Thanks, in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks all. And just to close the thread, I went up to the cabin this morning and access to the internet had returned. So, it was just an update afterall.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Are you able to connect to the wifi at all?  If so, can you visit http://192.168.0.1 in your browser, and click on "System Status" at the top, and tell us any statecodes that you may see?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mtp1032

Depending on what modem you have it may very well be updating, though it's a little hard to tell which modem you have, as Gen5 has only been out since March of last year, so if it's a modem that you purchased three years ago it's not a Gen5 modem.  

The HT2000W modem, which is the Gen5 modem, has recently had a significant update that can take a while to complete.  The HT1100, which is probably what you have, may very well have had an update, as well.  

Thank you for the info and advice. My modem is the an HT2000W. I forgot that I had upgraded the modem last year when I ordered the phone service. I'll be going back up this morning and will see whether it's completed its upgrade.

Thanks,

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You're welcome. 🙂

Thanks all. And just to close the thread, I went up to the cabin this morning and access to the internet had returned. So, it was just an update afterall.

Cheers,